FINALLY, a little shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here as much in the past few months, but I always think about you all. About a month ago, I moved into more of a permanent place to live down here at the beach. Since then, everytime I get home, there is someone to talk to or something to do, whether it be playing guitar on the porch, surfing, running, or a walk down to the bar, it's non-stop, 24/7.

I've had my tools stashed in various places for the last few months, but I finally got them all here yesterday. The shop is a very small (10x15') storage room on the ground floor of the house. But it IS a shop. :icon_thum Today, I continued where I left off on my nightstand, that hasn't been touched in nearly three months. I have to tell ya, it never felt so good to stand in an un-airconditioned room, sweating bullets and making sawdust! :icon_chee So here are a few pics. Now if I only had some casters.......

Trent_pics_005.jpg

The TS is a sneak gloat, by the way :eusa_danc
Trent_pics_008.jpg

Trent_pics_012.jpg

My first actual project in the new shop was the surfboard rack. Thank God for that drill press. :icon_thum
Trent_pics_011.jpg

Finally, as much as I love the shop, this is my favorite place on the planet.
Trent_pics.jpg

As always, I wish you all the best.

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Good to finally hear that you are alive and kicking. We have missed your input here. You got a lot of catching up to do:rotflm:. Great looking shop by the way.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Congrats Trent, glad to hear you're getting things together. It's about time you started making some sawdust. Too long without it and you start having withdrawl!!!

sawduster

New User
Robert
Woo Hoo !!! :eusa_clap Good on ya bro !! :icon_thum
Long ways from where ya were just a few months ago huh ?
Awesome to see your smilin' mug again dude :eusa_danc

....oh wait , that's not your face in your sig :rotflm: still good to see it :eek:ccasion1

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Trent, glad to see you back with us and making sawdust again. There is nothing like the smell of sweat and sawdust except for maybe air conditioned air and sawdust. :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Since then, everytime I get home, there is someone to talk to or something to do, whether it be playing guitar on the porch, surfing, running, or a walk down to the bar, it's non-stop, 24/7.
I feel soooo sorry for you.....NOT! Must be simply AWFUL, having to do things like SURFING! Or playing GUITAR on the porch. What's next, having a GOOD TIME?:cry_smile:cry_smile

Congrats on getting the new shop! It may be small, but a shop is a shop. Besides, as everyone here knows, a shop is always 20% too small, no matter the actual size :) Congrats on the table saw, looks like you've got the arsenal complete - table saw, band saw, drill press, jointer, planer....now you get to spend the rest of your life upgrading, expanding the shop, upgrading, expanding the shop, upgrading....

Good to hear from you Trent. Nice looking surfboard rack. :eusa_clap

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Trent: some of my most enjoyable times were in a shop about that size in Greensboro. Everytime I moved, I had to step around or over something! But, that's where my woodworking began, and I still think of those days.

AND, I sure didn't have the view or access to the beach!! (That came later!)

Welcome back, Bro.

:wsmile:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Welcome back to the fold, Trent. You Rock! Looks like a nice shop, except it's way too clean! :gar-La; So get busy messin' it up.

Enjoy

DaveO

New User
DaveO
10' x 15' is better than no shop in my book. Good for you for having it, I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hmmmmm....... A shop at the beach. What kinda word can we think of for that?

ConSURFulations seems about right.:icon_thum
That's an ocean green ain't it?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks so much for the kind words. :notworthy:

I'm still very much in a transitional period, but believe me, I have a few interviews coming up and if any of those work out, you will see some good stuff coming out of that shop. Right now I'm just doing what I can with what I have to work with.

While I was in the shop this evening, I thought a lot about Mike Davis's topic about challenge. Being a beginner, I entrusted several things in my past projects on a few of my friends, who were more experienced woodworkers. As I worked tonight, I recalled some of those past projects and it occured to me that most of the mistakes in my past projects were actually mistakes made by others. I noticed that I spend a very long time thinking things out and measuring every cut a handful of times before cutting. It made me think a lot and I think I came to the conclusion that my biggest challenge with woodworking is very simple to explain. It isn't a small shop or lack of funds to buy wood. It is that I can see what I want to build, the challenge is figuring out how to do it.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. Your inspiration is truelly priceless.

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dude,
The shop's definitely big enough, you just gotta clear out some of the garbage like that quiver of surfboards that the previous owner left in there:rotflm:.

Good Luck with the new shop.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing pics Trent and congrats on having a work space .:icon_thum The picture with the porch view reminds me of my old home in NJ which did not have a water view but was only 20 minutes from the Atlantic :cry_smile

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
That reminds me - my first "shop" here in Raleigh was actually my third-floor balcony - just me, my circular saw, and my Workmate. No beach view, but I could listen to the traffic flowing by on Hwy 70.

Congratulations Trent - hope things keep getting better!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That balcony looks like a great place to hang out in the evening and have a cigar and a cool drink.

Try more like...... a million. :eek:ccasion1+:XXsmoker:+ no :sleepy1: = :eusa_doh: :rotflm:

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone. :mrgreen:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, life is good!!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I am a little jealous of the surfboards. It's been 30 years for me. I'm renting a house at Carova Beach for a week and I'm gonna stop in Corolla on the way in and rent a long board for the week. Be really cool to come across a 10 ft G&S, huh?? I'm thinkin log for summer swells.

As for the shop. Awesome!!

Glad to see things are going so well for you.

Chuck

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hold on-wait a minute-is that 1st surfboard a Firewire? How can you just take a picture of the quiver and not give any more details. That scenery looks familiar, how far from the Oceanic are you? Congrats on the shop, time to contact the boys over at Grain surfboards and add a handmade wooden fish to the wall!

Enjoy the salt-wipe those tools down with wd-40:wink_smil -

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Sl8tr is going to win 9-he's on a role, 4 outta 5 so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS