Feeling Oakie Dokie....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Turned a few pens today. Nothing to exciting, but I had to post them so a few folks could see them. Justicefan was over while I was making up one of the blanks, and the other was most generously given by Jeff, and I am sure he would like to see how it turned out (pun intended).

The first is some Oak burl with African Blackwood, and Amboyna accents, and there was a little alcohol involved. While walking past the Aluminum can recycling bucket in my shop, I decided to throw a little Natural Light can in the mix.

Copy_of_Pens_408.jpg

This pen almost made me have to give up turning for a while. I had to cut my mandrel into three pieces with an angle grinder to get it off. I have no idea what happened, I took all the precautions to not get it stuck on there, but it did. I needed a new mandrel anyways. I am temporary using an old one I had for a MT#1 lathe....the rod unscrews :-D :-D

The second is simple Red Oak ( I think, but it was so light, I am second guessing my identification) from Jeff. Trying to add a little subtle twist to it, I reversed the grain direction of the center band area and added a few little accent bands of some unknown dark veneer. I am very happy with the finish on this one. It was such a porous blank that it drank up the CA and finished like a stabilized blank.

Copy_of_Pens_405.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.

Dave:)

MikeL

New User
Michael
Dave, that turned out great! I guess you'll be needed some more beer :-D . I am big fan of the chrome look anyways so that is right up my alley. Sorry to hear about the trouble it caused you though. Thanks for the tips today. I didn't crack my finish! Once again, very impressive. :eusa_clap

J

jeff...

Dave if you got that bottom pen blank from me then it's spalted RO, a lot of that crossed the line from good and spalted to good and rotten, but I was able to save some of it. I thought it might be something different for someone to try, I guess there was not much wood left if it drank up that much finish.

Both pens are nice, beer can hu? you guy amaze me.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Nice pens, Dave...I like the combinations that you used as they are subtle. I am a big fan of mixed media..so I really appreciate the metal!

Cheers,
Chris

clowman

Clay Lowman
I like that Dave I also like mixed media stuff. Maybe I'll try one sometime. Maybe more beer while turning. umm... I sense a thread in the Health and Safety coming on.....

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Both pens look great.
I have a question about the first one.
Why did you not put the aluminum on either side of the blackwood on the CB?

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Great work as usual Dave :icon_thum :eusa_clap I like the mix on the first one I am still trying to figure how to put some Crown Royal parts in one :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Both pens look great.
I have a question about the first one.
Why did you not put the aluminum on either side of the blackwood on the CB?

Thanks Eagle, and that is a very good question. I don't know why I didn't....brain fart I reckon. It is missing something, and that is it.

cskipper

Cathy
Great looking pens. What did we tell you about alcohol and power tools??? :eusa_naug Seriously, it was a clever addition.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great pens Dave. I like the mix of materials you used. I think it worked well together. These will be great gifts for some lucky person.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cathy, I had to get the beer out of the can before I could cut it up , somehow :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Dave...next time you're working on building your stock for future pens...give me a call...I'm no slouch at freeing up aluminum.:rolf:

Cathy, I had to get the beer out of the can before I could cut it up , somehow :lol: :lol: :lol:

lottathought

New User
Michael
It never fails to amaze me the great ideas that come from here.
Nice looking pens..

But had to cut the mandrel in 3 places?
What can possibly get it that stuck?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I had to get the beer out of the can

somewhere on here, there is a signature that reads:

Life is too short for cheap beer

but I guess that aluminum turns better than a Samuel Adams bottle....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.