Fasteners and screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortz1lla

New User
Joe
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so if it should be elsewhere let me know. I've read that a lot of woodworkers use McFeely's for their screw/fastener needs. I like their variety, but the prices leave a lot to be desired. I've used Walmart screws, those cheap ones at Lowe's that always seem to break, drywall screws (good price but broken heads in maple), and my big box favorite Spax... Each with their own glaring defects, Spax screws are in the cost bracket of McFeely's and a variety of sizes, which is all but required, can cost you your first born child. I've found a better supply with a better price, my local family-owned hardware store. Guy C. Wiggins hardware in Richlands sells torx head self-tapping screws for $3.50-5.00 per pound, which is cheaper than even drywall screws. The best part is that they have comparable features to far more expensive screws without the ridiculous cost. Check out your local hardware, you might just save some money.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I haven't found McFeely's screws to be all that expensive. Checking #8 x 1-1/2" yellow zinc plated screws, 100 count @ Lowes is $7.97, 100 count @ Mcfeely's is $6.00.
Not sure what that works out to by the pound.

pviser

New User
paul
I confess that I am a fan of McFeely's. I also like Bolt Depot. But I always try to trade locally when I can, and I appreciate your reminder on that point.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I too like your point about buying local when possible. Unfortunately many of our old mom & pop local hardware stores have fallen with the rise of the high volume BORGS. However, on more than one occasion it's been clear that some BORG products are often higher priced and lower overall quality.

Personally, I like the quality and selection of McFeely screws and don't find them too expensive in the overall scheme of a project. That said, they're not necessarily "Made in USA" either.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
McFeely screws are a great quality and seldom break or strip the head. You got to love that square drive! They are a good bang for the buck. I never use any other brand except McFeely. They also offer $1 shipping on your orders. That's nice.

Red

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I tried to buy local and they actually carried the brand of screws I liked but they were always out of stock. Eventually I stopped going and it looks like the recently went out of business.

stephens hardware in fuquay

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Although perhaps more pricey, I've had good luck with the Highpoint brand of square drive cabinet screws that Woodcraft sells. They are excellent quality and available in lots of sizes and types when needed quickly.

- Ken.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Although perhaps more pricey, I've had good luck with the Highpoint brand of square drive cabinet screws that Woodcraft sells. They are excellent quality and available in lots of sizes and types when needed quickly.

- Ken.

Interesting Ken. A little birdie at the Raleigh Woodcraft told me about a year ago that Woodcraft (Highpoint brand) and McFeely use the same supplier. I agree with your quality perspective. I just make sure that I keep my supply such that I minimize my McFeely orders.

Wayne

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
If you catch McFeely when they are having one of their '15% off everything" sales, they aren't too bad, and the $1 shipping and no sales tax works out pretty well costwise. All of the screws I have received from them are marked "Made in China" so they are definitely not US made, but the quality appears good and consistent. I have a pretty enormous assortment of their screws in all sizes.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS