FAS VS #1C grade red oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am getting ready to purchase 100 board foot of red oak. The difference in price is about $90.00 between the two grades. I will be using this wood to build two end tables for my living room. Would most of you spend the difference to buy the FAS grade over the #1c grade and why. This is one of my first hardwood projects short of a couple of picture frames. I would really appreciate some thought out honest replies here.

Thank you in advance!

Tracy

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yes I would. The FAS grade is going to give you wider/longer portions of the boards with defect free surfaces. For a table top it is good to have that so you can grain match and use the widest pieces possible. For the rest of the table #1C would work well as the clear cutting units as smaller but so are the members of the pieces. Ideally you could pick out some really nice FAS boards for the table tops and use the lower grade for the legs and aprons.
Check out this thread by Jeff. It does an excellent job of defining the lumber grades and what you should be able to expect when buying and working with them -
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12283

HTH, Dave:)

thrytis

New User
Eric
You'll get less usable lumber out of the #1 common than you will out of FAS grade due to knots and other defects. How much less will depend on your project. If your project requires a lot of long wide clear boards, you will have a lot of waste from #1 common, and you are probably best sticking with FAS. If your project is mostly small narrow pieces or you don't mind knots, you won't have a lot of waste from #1 common and that may be the cheapest way to go. You can find some details in the difference allowable defects here.

I typically buy FAS since that is mostly what i find available. If i didn't have a large project and found some #1 common significantly cheaper, i wouldn't hesitate to buy that though.

TracyP

Tracy
Thanks again Dave, I can always depend on an answer from you. I look forward to meeting all of you at some of the upcoming gatherings. I will view the thread you referenced in your post.

Tracy

TracyP

Tracy
You'll get less usable lumber out of the #1 common than you will out of FAS grade due to knots and other defects. How much less will depend on your project. If your project requires a lot of long wide clear boards, you will have a lot of waste from #1 common, and you are probably best sticking with FAS. If your project is mostly small narrow pieces or you don't mind knots, you won't have a lot of waste from #1 common and that may be the cheapest way to go. You can find some details in the difference allowable defects here.

I typically buy FAS since that is mostly what i find available. If i didn't have a large project and found some #1 common significantly cheaper, i wouldn't hesitate to buy that though.

Thank you Eric, I will look at the referenced web site and use that and Dave's reference to learn yet another lesson from this forum and the great bunch of folks here.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Tracy,
Red Oak is a relatively cheap wood, provided your not buying it at the borg's, and I find that the cost usually ends up being about the same either way. With the lower grade wood you will end up wasting more time sorting through it, create more waste/cut-offs and in the end you may not have as nice of looking piece. I'd recommend FAS. You should be able to find 4/4 KD FAS RGH for around $3/bdft at retail, give or take a little.
Rob

J

jeff...

Dang that's a great reference - thanks for posting it :thumbs_up

I think it's good for people who are serious about woodworking to get a basic understanding of hardwood lumber grades and IMHO this is a really good reference.

Thanks

TracyP

Tracy
Thanks for all of your advise, placing order tomorrow for 100 bf of fas red oak for the end tables. I will post pics as I progress into the world of hardwood. I may need some guidance along the way in laminating, Glue up of main panels. I am comfortable that with the friendly guidance of the pros here that my project will come out ok. BTW LOML has settled for pot luck in design. I did a basic plan in sketchup and will be tweaking it along the way. If anyone has photos of end tables with basically a drawer on top and a door on bottom to store stuff in I would welcome ideas or plans. Again thank all of you.

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS