Fallen oak tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanguard

New User
Update your profile with your name
I ran across this from a mailing list at work.

I have an 80' tall oak tree that fell over the weekend. I hate to just cut it up and burn it but I can't find anyone interested in coming out to get it (for lumber). Anyone know of anyone that might be interested?

It has a 6' girth at the base and only narrows to 5' at 44' up the tree.
If anybody is interested mail gkeeling@cisco.com . You can tell them Matt Woodworth sent you their way but I don't know the guy personally. Given that he works in RTP I'd guess he lives somewhere in the Raleigh/Cary area.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome back Matt. Your red shoes can't be matched, except maybe, by DaveO's peach shoes.

George

Hope one of you sawyers picks up on this. It would make some great QS if it's sound. Hope it's not a yard tree - no telling what sawmill wrecking things are in a yard tree. Are the worst ceramic insulators? Big nails?

vanguard

New User
Update your profile with your name
Welcome back Matt. Your red shoes can't be matched, except maybe, by DaveO's peach shoes.

George
The good news is I'm remembered. The bad news is that it's for my shoes. :mrgreen:

I guess I've been getting a little more conservative as I age. I'll have to fix that. This is what I'm wearing right now.

50525_NVTP.jpg

J

jeff...

If I'm understanding correctly

Girth -
1) The distance around something; the circumference
2) To measure the circumference of

6' girth at the base, 5' girth 44' up in oak equals about 18" diameter.

Take 60" (5') girth / 3.2 (no tree is perfectly round) subtract at least 2 inches for bark that makes for around a 18 ~ 19" diameter log. A we little bit to small for quartering but would make for good flat sawn boards assuming it's a good clean tree, not many limbs and no trash like nails and wire and stuff like that...

Yeah ceramic insulators and anything glass like bottles are the worst - blade don't just throw teeth like it does when it hits metal - the blade explodes into many tiny pieces - (Lost in Space Voice On) Danger Will Robertson Danger. (Lost in Space Voice Off)

Bring me the logs I'll saw em up for you...

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Hey Matt!
I am glad to see you posting here. We met in Hickory at the Klingspor Maloof chair demo. Great website by the way. Thanks for keeping it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS