ERC Slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I have a neighbor looking for a slab of ERC. The slab size he is looking for would be approximately 2' x 3' (could be more) and 2-3" thick. I think he would like bark but don't know that he would fuss if it didn't.

Anybody have/seen something like this? Thanks for any direction provided.

tv

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
That is what he wants, Mike. I am not well educated on size of ERC. Your question leads me to believe that 2' is highly unlikely. I might talk with him about the width and see if two pieces in the 12" range would work.

tv

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Try Calico Custom Lumber. In easter NC on NC 43 at NC 102. Approx. 20 miles of Greenville.
John Baker @252-746-6807

J

jeff...

good luck on finding a non-doty slab of ERC that wide - it's RARE around here. If you do happen to run across one that's not doty expect to give more than an arm and leg, if the guy knows what he has - he'll want your first born too.

Doty \Do"ty\, a. Half-rotten; as, doty timber. [Local, U. S.]

Later Gator

max_in_graham

New User
Max
No I wouldn't!! I'd rather you TAKE mine! (heheheh... and the bills that go with him!)

ERC=Eastern Red Cedar, correct?

If so, I think I still have 2-4 possible candidate slabs he might be interested in. I traded out some slabs awhile back and if I'm remembering right, I think there are two slabs that are 22"x3"x8', another that's kinda doty right at 20"x3.5"x10' and one that's def doty at 21"x3"x5'. Either that or these are the 16" to 18" wide slabs.

I traded some slabs out when I brought all the lumber in the house about 18 months ago. It's all face stacked down in the basement. I haven't touched it since I moved it, and I can't remember what exactly is in the stack.

I don't know what they're worth, but I'm willing to sell em or trade em' for 3/4 or 4/4 red oak boards or anything in the utility wood vein; maple, ash, etc...

If he's still lookin', lemme know and I'll trot my chubby little butt downstairs and dig through it to check what I really do still have.

Max

J

jeff...

No I wouldn't!! I'd rather you TAKE mine! (heheheh... and the bills that go with him!)

ERC=Eastern Red Cedar, correct?

If so, I think I still have 2-4 possible candidate slabs he might be interested in. I traded out some slabs awhile back and if I'm remembering right, I think there are two slabs that are 22"x3"x8', another that's kinda doty right at 20"x3.5"x10' and one that's def doty at 21"x3"x5'. Either that or these are the 16" to 18" wide slabs.

I traded some slabs out when I brought all the lumber in the house about 18 months ago. It's all face stacked down in the basement. I haven't touched it since I moved it, and I can't remember what exactly is in the stack.

I don't know what they're worth, but I'm willing to sell em or trade em' for 3/4 or 4/4 red oak boards or anything in the utility wood vein; maple, ash, etc...

If he's still lookin', lemme know and I'll trot my chubby little butt downstairs and dig through it to check what I really do still have.

Max

Cool... You should consider yourself real lucky if you got 16 ~ 18" ERC that's not dote. We call it "ala gator char" around here. Only - because the dote looks like alligator skin or charred wood that's not black. The Dote never gets hard and actually gets softer when dry. If the doty spots are small you can flood em with thin CA glue after the wood dries and get them pretty stable. then fill with your favorite wood putty or with sanding dust and medium CA to get them flush - seems to work pretty well on small areas.

Thanks

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Max, thanks for the update. I will check with the neighbor and see what he would like to do. Thanks again.

tv

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
We've got a piece of cypress that's that big (actually much bigger) but it doesn't have a bark edge. Let me know if we can help,

Paula

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Paula, I appreciate the information. I will pass it on and see what the neighbor would like to do.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS