epoxy coating and a nice slab of wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Neil

New User
charles
here is alink to my blog, check out the pictures of the Claro Walnut slab, you can read the first part of the blog it explains the finishing process,,, Just thought you would like to see the slab and how we dealt with it , would put it here but dont know how to post pictures just yet.... this is going to be a coffee table for a client In NY, almost a shame,,, Huh?. but it was 3 inches thich so we did a resaw and got 2 - 7/16 thick veneer panel's... couldnt bear planing it down.... its not too often you come across one of these, so thought you folks would enjoy seeing it... I basically did an epoxy coating ( top and bottom) and then a waterbase finish in satin to get the sheen I wanted, I could have sanded and rubbed the epoxy to a satin, but this was alot faster and easier

hope ya like it
http://intheworkshop.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/clario-slab-finishing-and-stuff/

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very cool. I added a few images directly from your blog below. I guess that's the key thing when working with epoxy, making the wood look encased in plastic, not plastic itself.

10-19-1.jpg
10-19-4.jpg

10-19-8.jpg

Charles Neil

New User
charles
thanks, for posting the pictures, the slab now that it has dried to the satin sheen looks like a well applied oil finish, not a heavy coating , which it is, , i used some abralon and rubbed it up to 3000 grit, and it looks great.. you would never know it had the epoxy, Now a quick word of caution, make sure the slab is dry, 8 to 10% ,( typical air dried) and be sure to coat all surfaces, top sides and bottom, this is very important, other wise you set up an adverse moisture condition, where moisture can be absorbed and released at a far different rate on the insealed side, balance on wood surfaces is critical, if you do not seal the bottom , it will cup , rest assured...
thanks all

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Charles,

Not to be a grammarian, but the proper term Claro Walnut (Juglans hindsii)

Looks nice and good job.

kyle

Dragon

New User
David
VERY nice work Charles. I really enjoyed reading your blog entries too. Got some ideas from you that I plan to try out wit my tables and stuff.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS