Entertainment Center completed - HOORAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ever have one of those projects you knew you had to finish, but your heart just wasn't in it. For me it's been the never ending entertainment center. Our old TV died last year and we had to get a new one. So of course that required a new entertainment center. Now that it's in the house, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop: "You know, the rest of the furniture in the room really doesn't go with the new entertainment center." :tongue2:

Anyway, I started this project last December, and did it in three stages: The center console for the the TV to sit on; the two towers on either side of the console; and the bridge across the top that connects the towers. The wood is mostly Maple, and in some cases Maple veneered plywood. I designed it in SketchUp with LOT'S of direction from LOML.

The finish is two coats of a water soluable dye that I blended until I got just what SWMBO was looking for. That was followed by three coats of dewaxed shellac, then three coats of lacquer, both sprayed on. Disclaimer on the finish: I provided a number of sample boards for the finish and this is what she chose. I used a washcoat on several of the samples to reduce the blotching, but it turns out she likes the blotching look. Go figure! :swoon:

Not much more to say about it, other than here are some more pics of the building process, if you're interested. Now I can go sit down and watch one of my favorite shows. :)

IMG_27752.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice job Bill! I keep putting off building ours but maybe now I'll get inspiration from your completed project.

bobby g

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Bill!!!:eusa_clap

The finish looks fantastic and the design ROCKS!

Your work with the dyes really payed off, (Sounds like you may have to hang onto the formula for future LR projects.

Thanks for sharing all of the detailed phot's too!!!!!!!
:icon_thum

Wayne

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Bill,

Awesome! I am sure you will see many years of service out of this entertainment center. I really like the design and finish.

Steve

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Nice! I understand LOTS of input from the wife. I received quite a bit on our china hutch. The good news is they both came out looking good. Couldn't have done it without them!!! ;-)
BTW - That's not blotching. It's figure!

pete

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Stunning work Bill! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Hopefully SWMBO doesn't decide that she wants a much bigger TV. :swoon: :rotflm:

Bryan S

Bryan
Looks great Bill :icon_thum

Sometimes lots of input from our fairer halves makes it turn out just super.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Bill.

At least you get some input from the LOYL. Mine usually just says "No, I don't like it" until I come up with something that she doesn't say "No, I don't like it" to.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Looks great. I may plagiarize your designs alittle. It is one of those things on the infamous "list". I love the curves and clean design. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS