end tables finally finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
After many months, I've finally finished this pair of end tables (yeah i realize only one is shown). Note these were designed to match the coffee table I made almost a year ago. A lot of things, got in the way of this project -work, kids, life, weather, other projects, jigs, etc. The woods used are walnut, maple, and cherry. Most of the lumber was from Jack Murdock (saw4you) except the 8/4 leg stock which I got from the Hardwood Store of NC. There are lots of M/T joints in these, 20 per table and lots of curved pieces which made fitting into the curved legs a real pain. A first for me were the drawers -hand cut dovetails, half-blind in the front and through in the back. The drawer on one table is a few inches shorter than the other b/c I screwed up a couple of times, so I just sawed it off and started over. All in all I'm pleased though so many mistakes, too many to count. The finish for the top is BLO followed by wipe on poly, the legs/apron etc got garnet shellac, then wipe on poly, and the drawer was finished with clear shellac.

DSC014521.JPG

View image in gallery

Thanks for looking!

Sam

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work!

Great selection of woods and the design really shows them off.

I can see them lasting a long time and generating plenty of positive feedback.

Wayne

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Those look great! Is the stripe on the top the only part that is cherry? Or are the legs also cherry?

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Thanks for all the positive comments!!!

I like the curved taper on the legs, and the contrasting woods. Interesting design. :icon_thum

Bill

I really like your new entertainment center as well. The curved pieces really add a nice design element!

Those look great! Is the stripe on the top the only part that is cherry? Or are the legs also cherry?

Thanks! just the stripe on the top is cherry. the legs are walnut, but are from a different source than the walnut on the top/aprons/stretchers, etc. The legs are a tad lighter than the other walnut, which of course is exaggerated by my camera. Not sure if the leg stock was AD or KD, the remaining walnut stock was all AD.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice looking tables. The DTs look good. :cool: :cool:

I'd like to see a pic from further away that shows the whole piece. Be neat to see how the leg curves look.

Did you use hand tools to shape and fit the curved pieces?

Chuck

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Nice looking tables. The DTs look good. :cool: :cool:

I'd like to see a pic from further away that shows the whole piece. Be neat to see how the leg curves look.

Here are a couple of more pics...

Did you use hand tools to shape and fit the curved pieces?

Chuck

most of the curves were roughed out on the BS and finished w/ a rasp, spokeshave, and a contour plane as needed. Mirrored pieces (i.e. left/right or front back) were clamped together to get the curves consistent. At one point, i realized that side stretchers were about 1/16" to short :BangHead:. i had to remake those pieces so I grabbed the router and a bearing bit to match the original profiles

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks for the additional pics. :)

If you didn't already have it, you should have great confidence in your layout and joinery skills after completing this project. Nice work. :cool: :cool:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS