East Wake Hardwoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Re: Fix the website please!

What kind of wood prices were double? Was it super wide or figured wood?

Kyle - It's stumpage and I'm not sure if it's a market trend or just something local to me. I'm very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things and don't have a handle on what goes on outside my little world. Might be best to take this conversation off line.

Here's a pretty decent site I have not seen anyone mention before for super wide or figured wood.

Berkshire Products Inc. home page

Thanks

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

Kyle - It's stumpage and I'm not sure if it's a market trend or just something local to me. I'm very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things and don't have a handle on what goes on outside my little world. Might be best to take this conversation off line.

Here's a pretty decent site I have not seen anyone mention before for super wide or figured wood.

Berkshire Products Inc. home page

Thanks

hey Jeff..I was asking toddler what prices specifically were double and was there a reason behind being different than the website. Just curious since Rodger is a pretty good fellow.

J

jeff...

hey Jeff..I was asking toddler what prices specifically were double and was there a reason behind being different than the website. Just curious since Rodger is a pretty good fellow.

Kyle - oh my mistake and have no doubt Rodger is a nice fellow, he's been very helpful to me.

Thanks

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hey Kyle,

I've heard Rodger is a good guy and I'm not trying to make him seem otherwise.

I was looking mostly for Purple heart, and maybe some Mahogany. I'd have loved to grab some Bloodwood too even though it was not on the web page, but given how I was feeling, that wasn't going to happen.

And it certainly isn't that every price from the web site that has doubled or that they are outrageously priced. Rodger's sight says he tries to offer fair prices and I suspect he does. On what I wanted, they're just MUCH higher than the prices online.

EWHW had some really nice large boards for fine furniture makers, and a nice supply for any woodworker. For someone in that area, they're convenient, seem pleasant, and I'm sure they're very nice to deal with. But I'm pretty far away, not looking to buy a $400 figured board to make a masterpiece, so while I'm not mad any more, I'm still annoyed at my wasted time and gas and won't make the trip again just to go there.

My understanding is their web site prices are so far off because they can't update the prices themselves. They know about the issue and it sounds like they want to fix it. Hopefully before anyone else is as dumb as me and makes the trip without confirming the prices! Maybe they can simply add a date to the price list??

Anyway, I do appreciate that they offer a discount to NCWoodworker members and hope your future dealings with them are great.

Todd

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lesson learned, call first. The Internet is only as good as what people input into it. You should have checked out Klingspor, they always seem to have a good selection of PH, and at good prices - $4-5 a BF.
My $.02,
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, I have bought a bunch of PH at Klingspor, and turned it into a bunch of purple sawdust. They also often stock bloodwood, I think last time it was $8-9 bf....

Toddler

New User
Todd
Thanks for the tip guys. I wasn't going to go anywhere else with my visiting dad. He wanted to see his grandkids.

I'll consider checking out Kingspor's if I get into Raleigh for something else. Gonna head to the Hardwood store first since it's so much closer. I don't think they have Bloodwood, but the have Jatoba, Purple Heart, Walnut and Bubinga which are reasonably stiff and I believe have comparable expansion rates. I'll seal the entire guitar in shellac as an MC seal before it's laquered, but I still want the woods to be close.

Happy Easter,
Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
:lol: I suppose across the street is close enough.

I meant close in expansion/contraction rates. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Todd

rodger barrow

New User
rodger
I owe Todd (Peter,Kevin, Jeff, Kyle, Dave) and all of the other members a sincere apology. My web prices are NOT up to date, as Todd found out. I do not have the ability to change the prices myself and it is hard to get changes made. I am working to correct that as it is a very serious issue for me. As Kyle can attest to; prices have gone wild in the last 1-2 years.
I can't even buy Purple Heart at my web price. Again, I apologize. Todd, if you would be so kind as to send me your mailing address to my email address(rodger@eastwakehardwoods.com), I will send you a check for $20.00 to cover your gas cost and possibly as small part of your aggrivation. While my PH price is higher than the web price, it is currently at $7.60 / bft. which is still cheaper than Klingspor. I do also have curly PH at $13.00 / bft. Todd, I have worked pretty close to Hill at The Hardwood Store of NC and I think very highly of him. You should patronize him as often as possible. I also know Kyle and think alot of him. Those of you who live near Kyle should support him. None of us in the lumber business are getting rich doing it. Mostly it is the joy of finding beautiful wood, working with it, and having it available to our customers. As suppliers , we can't be or supply everything to everybody but we try to find a nich that will allow us to meet
some of the demand in our areas. None of us want to upset a customer and again I apologize. Most of my customers know that I will do what ever it takes. My customer base is mainly from Chapel Hill to the coast. I also sell nationally and internationally. Every inquiry that I have had to my web site so far have asked for the current prices.This goes for phone inquiries also. This is the first time that I have had a customer come in expecting to see a web price. BUT it is my site and I have to be responsible for the errors on it. Again, Todd send me your address and I will try to make ammends.

Rodger H. Barrow
East Wake Hardwoods

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Rodger,

My first post was written when I was still annoyed, probably as much at myself for not checking as for anything else. I should have called, and I figure the price of the lesson was worth it. So don't worry about my gas cost or anything else.

Just say hi if you're at the picnic and :slap: me in the head for not calling first.

Todd

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Rodger, perhaps I can help with the issue of getting web prices updated on a timely basis.

If you would like, I could take a drive out there and we could tlak about what the problem is and ways to get around it.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I would like to make a point about East Wake. We get discounts at both Eask Wake and The hardwood store.

East Wake gives us 10% off.
The Hardwood Store is give us $0.10/bd ft :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

dozer

Mike
I can honestly say that Roger is one of the most honest and fair people I have ever met. I spend alot of time at his store and and see him work with customers all the time and he treats them all like they are the most important one of all. I also know how hard he is trying to get his web site updated.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I would like to make a point about East Wake. We get discounts at both Eask Wake and The hardwood store.

East Wake gives us 10% off.
The Hardwood Store is give us $0.10/bd ft :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

and us sawyers we are already discounted..:D

J

jeff...

Well I learned two things that are 100% factual in this thread.

* Roger said "None of us in the lumber business are getting rich doing it. Mostly it is the joy of finding beautiful wood, working with it, and having it available to our customers."

* Then there Kyle's "and us sawyers we are already discounted."

Put the two together and you get someone who finds joy in beautiful wood and doesn't make much sawing it.

How true, oh how true... :mrgreen:

MikeH

New User
Mike
Well I learned two things that are 100% factual in this thread.

* Roger said "None of us in the lumber business are getting rich doing it. Mostly it is the joy of finding beautiful wood, working with it, and having it available to our customers."

* Then there Kyle's "and us sawyers we are already discounted."

Put the two together and you get someone who finds joy in beautiful wood and doesn't make much sawing it.

How true, oh how true... :mrgreen:

We so appreciate all you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS