Drilling advice needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonEve

New User
Don
Guys/Gals,

I've still not come to terms on how best, and most economically, to drill my pen blanks.

What is your tool of choice? Is a quill travel on a drill press of 2 3/8" enough? Besides using a drill press for "drilling" (Ha!), what else could I use it for?

Do any of you use the lathe for drilling? What about a hand drill? What drill guide do you use?

This is my final (I hope) obstacle in my pen turning journey to the dark side. I'm getting frustrated as I tend to get a little anal at times, overthinking things.

What's the best bang for my buck?

Thanks,
Don :BangHead:

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Don! I use a drill press (Ryobi 12" Benchtop). I find it the most accurate and efficient way to drill pen blanks. I'm sure it's not the only way but I haven't tried any other methods myself since I've always had a drill press to use. The one I had before did not have quite enough quill travel so I upgraded to the Ryobi this past year.

If you intend on making lots of pens then a drill press would be a good investment. Otherwise you'll have to get creative with another method. To answer your question on what else is a drill press good for, there are several other uses. I have a sanding pad that can be put in the chuck and used with different grits of hook and loop paper. You could also get drum-type sanding kits for the drill press, a mortising attachment, sanding wheels, and I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now :eusa_thin

Hope that helps!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Guys/Gals,

I've still not come to terms on how best, and most economically, to drill my pen blanks. There is nothing economical in this hobby :eusa_doh:

What is your tool of choice? I use a floor model drill press Is a quill travel on a drill press of 2 3/8" enough? Should be a pen barrel is generally only a little more than 2¼" long. Besides using a drill press for "drilling" (Ha!), what else could I use it for? I have used my drill press as a spindle sander. Many use it for a mortiser, although dedicated machines for both applications work much better.

Do any of you use the lathe for drilling? I haven't for pen blanks, but have for many other applications like pepper mills, and vases. What about a hand drill? Probably not enough control, unless you rigged up a jig to hold the drill true. What drill guide do you use? I use a pen vice for drilling on the DP, but got along for quite a while with a homemade right angle jig. It wasn't until I didn't drill plumb on a segmented blank did I see the need for anything better than what I had rigged up. There are many plans for shop built pen vices on the Web.

This is my final (I hope) obstacle in my pen turning journey to the dark side. I'm getting frustrated as I tend to get a little anal at times, overthinking things.

What's the best bang for my buck?

Thanks,
Don :BangHead:

I would get a good bench top DP. It shouldn't cost too much, probably about the same a good scroll chuck and drill chuck for your lathe. There are many other applications for both set-ups. The chucks will provide you other turning opportunities, and the drill press will assist in other areas of "flat" work. Which do you see doing more of?

Dave:)

T

toolferone

Don, a drill press is not the coolest tool in the shop, but it might be one of the most used. I probably use it at least once on every project I build. It is very versatile tool. I most often use the dp for my pen blanks, but if you are working a very detailed blank that requires to be drilled dead center then the lathe is more accurate.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Yes Don, HD carries that Ryobi. I got mine using a 20% off coupon from Lowes, HD honors competitor coupons :icon_thum Total cost was about $185! :eusa_danc

Keep your eyes open for discounts, sales, and coupons and you can get a really good deal. Also, a good option is to keep an eye on Craigslist for used stuff too.

DonEve

New User
Don
Ya know, I got started in this hobby thinking, okay lathe $200, a few hand tools, $40.00...good to go. BIG MISTAKE!!!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Well Don, it IS "good to go!" Good to go to: Woodcraft, Klingspor, Lowe's, HD, Hardwood Store, Steve Wall, Woodcrafters, Rockler, and MANY, MANY more!!

:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ya know, I got started in this hobby thinking, okay lathe $200, a few hand tools, $40.00...good to go. BIG MISTAKE!!!
And people wonder why I keep resisting the Dark Side... :)

A drill press is incredibly useful. Once you have one, you wonder how you ever did without it. Anytime you're trying to make a hole bigger than a screw pilot hole, the drill press is the tool of choice. Great for cutting a circle that's a non-standard size, making plugs to cover screws/ mistakes, drilling a lot of dowel holes, etc. Oh, and not that I condone this "turning" stuff, but it's good for drilling pen blanks too. So I hear.

A good benchtop drill press won't cost very much. They also show up on Craig's List several time a week. This is one of those items where 'old stuff' is often better than 'new stuff'. So don't let lack of paint turn you off. Ridgid (Home Depot) has a pretty good floor standing drill press, although it's probably more money than you want to spend.

Whatever you get, make sure it has enough quill travel for your pen blanks (primary purpose), a decent speed range (especially on the lower end), and a rack-and-pinion table. Stuff like a laser - overrated.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Don don't feel bad I'm in the same boat. Now don't forget that you will need a grinder to sharpen those $40 chisels :eek:. I'm in the need for the same two items:BangHead:.Of course my brother doe's have a drillpress not sure of the quill though.:dontknow:Time will tell though I did just see a grinder on CL new still in the box for $20 but it's in Concord:cry_smile.Good luck though the trip to the dark side ain't cheep.:no:

cskipper

Cathy
Don, I always drill blanks with the lathe. I started turning when I was staying part time in Anderson. My lathe was down there, and scroll saw was in Forest City. I didn't have a drill press there, so the lathe gave me one less tool I needed.

You can make the vice on your workbench work for a pen press, but if you are going to make many, save up for a pen press.

Bas, the need for more tools and stuff is one of the reasons that i am surprised you have turned to the dark side - lol! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, the need for more tools and stuff is one of the reasons that i am surprised you have turned to the dark side - lol! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
:rolf: I'm pacing myself.....

I suppose I could make some room in the shop, but any freed up space is already spoken for by my yet-to-be-acquired drum sander. Maybe I could put a lathe on a platform that's winced to the ceiling, like Steve's crosscut sled :widea:

garymuto

New User
Gary
24577-01-200.jpg
This was on sale for $60 yesterday, but apparently not anymore. There is a $15 off of $50 spent currently available until July 31 though.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18062&filter=pen vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS