Drill hole in china plate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, this has me stumped.

I'm trying to drill a small hole in a china saucer for a teacup.

The end result is to attach it to a pole and make a mini bird bath (my mothers plan).

I've ruined 3 kinds of drill bits at various speeds and barely scratched it.

Or, the saucer shatters.

Anyone know how I could drill such a hole?

Thanks,
Jim

T

toolferone

If a glass type drill bit is not working then I would look at gluing the plate to the rod.

DavidF

New User
David
I did this very recently to make a clock for a friend and it was very easy. Get a "spear point" bit, normally marked as for glass. Run the drill press at its slowest speed (250 rpm). Use a tungsten tipped glass cutter to scratch through the glaze at the point you want the hole, this stops the drill skidding and is the key to the whole exercise. Make a ring around the hole with putty and fill with Mineral spirits. Drill slowly and carefully not forcing the drill bit. Once through the glaze it's easy sailing. Place a backer under the plate and go really steadily as you go through the back

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
toss it up in the air and whip out the ol 45 and shoot the hole right through the center! :rolf: thats how it was done in the old west.:roll: anyway after you break the last plate it will no longer be your problem!8-O of coarse this is all tounge in cheek..... i think a better idea was already posted... :rolf:

fred p

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh, I wish I could use a .45...

I found a way that works. Dremel with a cone shaped grinding stone. Made a nice hole.

The opposite side even shows a little spot of scorching. I was able to cut from that side to avoid any glaze fracture (aka blowout).

David, I'm gonna give your method a shot too. See how they compare in terms of speed.

Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS