Dresser for my granddaughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
After seeing the beautiful mahogany 5 drawer chest Dino posted last week, I was hesitant to even show this. But then I thought, what the heck. I'll just think of it as Beauty and the Beast (if you're wondering which is which, this ain't the beauty!) :gar-La;

Anyway, my granddaughter needs a dresser for her room, and my daughter was going to buy a second hand piece of junk. I thought I could make her something cheaper and better, so here it is. It's a basic plywood carcass, w/ plywood interior frames, hardwood drawer guides, poplar face frame, top, and drawer fronts, painted white, w/ pink handles. If you remember the pink toy box I posted in early April, this is for the same little girl: hence the pink handles. If you want to see more pics of the building process, you can find them at Granddaughter's Dresser. Like the toy box, this will probably be decorated w/ princess and Snow White decals soon. :wsmile:

IMG_11411.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wouldn't call it a beast! Much better than anything I've ever done.

I've been trying to build a simple cabinet for a year and can't make time to work on it, may have to hire it done. :no:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Bill!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I can easily see that it will be treasured for many years.

The partitions and multi-level drawer is really neat! Great idea! I know of the challenges with having so many drawers and making the face frame absolutely square is a challenge alone for me. Looks to me that everything is true as can be.

I agree, much better than buying a used dresser made from inferior stock and construction.

Well done!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Bill. Best of all, as she gets older, all she has to do is paint the handles to ensure it grows up with her. Don't be surprised if she still has it 25 years from now! It looks extremely solid without being bulky, the proportions are great. As for Beauty vs. Beast...why, because it's painted? For those who think getting a smooth, good looking finish with paint is easy, I laugh in your general direction.

DonDeJ

New User
Don
If the customer is happy, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. But I think it's pretty special anyway!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks great from where I'm sittin.:icon_thum painted furniture for kids is a smart move. they will destroy the finish before they get old enough to appreciate the piece and it is much easier to repaint than re-varnish.:gar-Bi nice work.:wink_smil

bwat

New User
Bill
Looks great Bill! As stated above, perfect for the "customer".:icon_thum

So, toy box, dresser...what's next? Bed? Dressing table & mirror???

I know you will take good care of your grandaughter. Perhaps some pink handled tools are in her future?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Bill! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Some pieces are to be painted, that's just the way it is. Your craftsmanship is remarkable and I'm sure she will cherish it. :icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. That's what I love about this web site: an appreciative audience to show off to. I tried to make it so it would be appropriate now, and still fit her needs when she's 15 or 30. I expect it will be abused, used, painted, and whatever over the years.

Bill :gar-Bi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up You have one lucky grand daughter. Nice job Bill. :thumbs_up

T

toolferone

A very nice looking well made piece of furniture. It is SO much better then ANYTHING store bought. :thumbs_up

EricS

Eric
Senior User
There is nothing like building stuff for the people you love, they pay you back in love. great job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors