Dresser #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member

(I am in the yellow shirt. Knot Head is in the background)

Maple ply, Target Coatings EM8800 with black pigment added at the factory (thanks Jeff Weiss), Target Coatings 9000 clear gloss interior poly.

I used non-sterated sand paper, Abranet (great stuff) then Abralon (also great stuff). Then I rubbed it out with Menzerna pre-polish then polish (amazing stuff). Topped it with three coats of Liberian wax.

I sprayed with a ASTURO High Transfer gun from Jeff Jewett (thanks Jeff).

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Man those are sweet! My eyes would go buggy looking at that wall paper all the time though :swoon:. Great work on the dressers!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
They say the finish MAKES the project!! Well. I would say that you have won on all counts!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Beautiful work, for sure!:wsmile::eusa_clap:eusa_clap:wsmile:

Wayne

nelsone

New User
Ed
Man, you really went for a piano finish on that one! Looks great, can't believe the sheen on that piece!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Awesome, like others have said, the finish is beautiful:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
What a beautiful finish, John!!! You should be very proud of the professional job you did on that piece...

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. Spending that much time on a finish is really showing a character flaw that I have. It is also why I built two, just in case.

Travis, the ASTURO runs off of my 5 hp, 30 gal compressor.

T

toolferone

WOW JOHN!! That is great. How about some construction details and pics.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Thanks guys.

Tom I did not take any WIP pics. Kids took he camera but I got one for fathers day.

The panels are "floating" panels secured with/by Domino loose tenons. Also the frame joints are with the Domino loose tenons. Worked really well.

I dovetailed the drawers, half blind using a WOODHAVEN jig which I like but I do not have anything to compare it to. The drawer box material is a prefinished ply from NC Hardwood. The routed dove tail were not as smooth in the 3/8 ply. It splintered a lot. The lock joint may have been better to use with that material.

I did use he Blum under drawer slides. I am not so excited with this product. It hooks in the back through a hole in the back of the drawer. In the front there is a spring loaded catch in a locking device that you attach to the underside of the drawer. They are "self closing", if the slide gets three inches form being closed, a spring takes it the rest of the way for closing.

I have used ball bearing slides from CS Hardware that are much cheaper, open 110% and are rated @ 100 lbs. They are easier to install, and it is easier to remove and insert the drawer.

I would lie to get other insights on such issues so I can get smarter.

J

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great job, John!
You really got the finishing down pat. Whose gonna notice the drawer slides with that mirror finish?

Roger

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Thank you Roger. You are usually one of the first to say nice things to all of us. It is appreciated.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I used non-sterated sand paper, Abranet (great stuff) then Abralon (also great stuff). Then I rubbed it out with Menzerna pre-polish then polish (amazing stuff). Topped it with three coats of Liberian wax.

I sprayed with a ASTURO High Transfer gun

I've never felt more unexperienced at finishing. :swoon: Very nice work!

Cheers,

Trent :eek:ccasion1

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
NO Trent, it not that way. You just do not see how many mistakes I have made to figure this out. I still put my shoes on the wrong feet.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
PianoTasstic!!! SO are you goung to apply for a job at Steinway and Sons now that you've got there finich down? Very-Very nice. Would the process work as well with other colors?

Mike

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps!

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Michael,

The overcoat or top coat of varnish I used from Target Coatings is very clear. Try it first but you should get a decent rendition of the base color. You can use other water based paints of good quality as well. Duron Ultra was recommended to me. That should get you a wide choice of colors.

I also did some outside wooden furniture with the same sealer with the black added at the factory but used a marine grade exterior poly also form Target. The poly takes about 150 hours to cure. It was slightly blue to purple until it cured. Now it is black.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
John, that is one great looking dresser! I will agree with you that the undermount slides can be rather challenging, tho I found that after the first 40 sets or so, they are rather easy to deal with! as long as you don't short the order for any of the springy/catchy things that hold the slide to the front of the drawer, that is! :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS