Dream Shop......a reality...(*UPDATE 12/07/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Well almost...at least I have started it. After much dreaming, planning and wondering if I was doing the right thing I have finally commeted to building my "Dream Shop".

I really can't justify the cost because it will never pay for itself with anything I sell that I make in the shop but I don't spend money on other frivious things so why not.

Some of the specs:

- Pole Barn Style with 6"x6" and 6"x4" PT post 3' in the ground
- 30' x 64' OD with 12' high walls and a 12' full length shelter on one side with ends closed in
- Covered with colored metal to match other buildings on property
- 1 - 10' garage door on one end - 6 windows - 2 - 3' entry doors
- A wall will divide the interior in half to create a dedicated 30' x 32' WW shop space. Inside the shop space will be a 11' x 12' room that will have a closed in toilet room, a double SS sink, counter top, refrigator, sound system, desk and area for applying finish on projects and maybe even a recliner :gar-La;.
- Shop will be fully insulated and have a heat pump for heating and cooling.
- Shop interior walls will be 3/4" OSB and walls and ceiling will be painted white
- All DC piping is 6" and is underground and will be reduced at the machines to 4" except for 2 that I might convert to a 6" port
- There will not be a post or anything similar inside the shop coming down the walls or ceiling to get in my way. I have dealt with that for 6 years now.
- Shop will be equiped with cable TV, telephone and Internet service wired from the house

The other half of the building will house my DC, air compressor, wood storage, farm tractor, lawn mower, bicycles, etc.
The side shelter will be use to store equipment (bush hog, disk, etc) for my tractor and space for air drying wood if needed.

Needless to say I am excited about this project and hope all the hours I have spent planning it pay off.

This is after about 16 hours of work.

DSC06774.JPG

This is the shop end of the building.

DSC06779.JPG

This is looking in through where the garage door will be showing the DC pipes coming out of the ground.
DSC06780.JPG

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Re: Dream Shop......a reality...

Awesome Dolan! I can't wait to watch the progress. When you decide to do it; you do it right!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

Dolan, congrats on the ground breaking and new shop. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc It sounds like you've got it all well planned out and will have plenty of space. :icon_thum Keep the Pics coming.

Brian.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Wow, wow and wow. You know, with all those amenities, who needs an actual residence :) Just put a mattress on the table saw! Who cares on whether you'll "recover" the investment. It's about having fun!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Whoa! :swoon: That's probably the biggest gloat I've ever seen! :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

That will be a nice shop when it is complete. Can't wait to see the finished product.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member

Nice start on the dream shop Dolan!! I'm drooling already and you're just gettin' started. Keep the pics comin'.
I nominate Dolan's for the the next shop crawl:icon_chee.

sapwood

New User
Roger

:err::wideeyed::goofy: Zowie, Dolan!

It's going to be awesome.

Congrats and looking forward to future progress,
Roger

skeeter

New User
Charles

A little green envy here. Make sure to save enough room in one corner for my room.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn

Sweeeet! Congratulations!!! Great early Christmas present.

tv

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly

Awesome Dolan! It is always that first step taken that seems to be the hardest. then it is taken in little steps when you go to the woodworking shops and stores. When I did mine it wasn't what I could sell to pay for it but the thought of having one that I didn't have to move my tools out in the yard in the mlorning and move them back in at night. It's nice to close down at night and leave everything just like it is and come back the next day and start fresh, not having to be worn out from moving tools back and forth. Although I have a hard time using my hands and legs I enjoy my shop and don't regret taking that first step. My health from my diabetes prevents me from enjoying it like I had planned, but still do what I can. Enjoy yours Dolan you only get to do it one time to yours specs. Great job!:icon_thum Terry

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

Sweeeet! Congratulations!!! Great early Christmas present.

tv

Kind of an anniversary present. The second day of construction 9/30 was our 41st wedding anniversary. LOML didn't complain about me working on the building. But I did promise to take her to any restaurant she wants to go to Sunday......and she will get my existing shop when I move into the new shop. She plans to move her sewing machines and some other things into it.

She actually encoraged me to built the new shop when I was debating with myself if I should build it. I think I will keep her around. And this morning she cooked me a sauage and egg biscuit and brought it and a glass of fresh made fruit juice to me while I was finishng up the DC pipe installation. I'm blessed.

Glennbear

Glenn

Excellent planning job Dolan. Based upon my experiences building my shop I have two comments, you will find that OSB wall covering was definitely the way to go. Give some thought to powered ventilation for the above ceiling space. I have static ventilation with gable and eave vents but it does not quite do the job. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Awesome, Dolan!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

That is some serious progress in a very short amount of time. I too look forward to seeing it all come together!:wsmile:

Wayne

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

That's GREAT! I know we all have our dream shop, it's great to see someone get the opportunity for someone to build it.

PLEASE keep us posted on your progress!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Oh, DC pipes....:eusa_doh: I thought there for a minute there were johns a plenty in the shop.

T

toolferone

Nice going Dolan. That will be one fine shop! I look forward to seeing it person sometime. Don't forget to ask us for help if you need it while building it. I think you you should have a shop party when its done, I will bring my appetite :gar-Bi

RayH

New User
Ray

She actually encoraged me to built the new shop when I was debating with myself if I should build it. I think I will keep her around. And this morning she cooked me a sauage and egg biscuit and brought it and a glass of fresh made fruit juice to me while I was finishng up the DC pipe installation. I'm blessed.

Dolan,

Does your wife have any unmarried sisters?:gar-Bi

Congrats on your dream shop. I've lived in houses with less space and fewer features:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment from it and many comments (like mine) of envy about it.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS