Dream sawhorses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
So, in my never ending series of evil schemes and ambitions involving world domination and the finest cup of coffee ever brewed, I'm onto a new project.....

I'm looking for sawhorse plans and tips. Knockdown sawhorses are of interest as well. As are bents.

The Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers Meetup is embarking upon an ambitious plan to build workbenches. To further that end, we hope to start small and learn skills on less, uhm, weighty projects.

Plus, as they say, you need a bench to build a bench :)

Thanks!
Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like Scott Grandstaff's sawhorse, It is a mini bench of sorts. I keep planning to build one but life gets in my way.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pScott/sGrandstaff/sawhorses.htm

sawhorse2.jpg

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
now THAT's a sawhorse....construction looks simple as well. Link bookmarked for future reference...

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
While these are not "dream sawhorses" IMO, they are simple with one twist I really like - the I-Beam on top:

http://woodworking.about.com/od/shopequipmentsupplies/ss/woodSawhorses.htm

One thing that occured to me was that making the top 6, 8 or even 12 inches wide and then adding triangular supports would make it really useful.

However, for the sake of full disclosure I must confess I gave away my decent shop built wooden sawhorses because of space concerns. I have a pair of the cheap plastic ones from HF. They fold down to about an inch thick and I hang them on either side of a rolling tool stand. They are one of the last things I would part with now.

Rob

New User
Rob
I made these, by far my favorite, I especially like the replacable 2 x 4 on top, I just cut through it, replace it as needed.

sawhorsediagram_jpg.gif

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
There was a point in time when I thought there really should be an "ultimate" sawhorse.... one that all others would be modeled after. But then, sometimes I need saw horses to hold up some planks to make a cut station (miter and circ saws) for framing or trimming a house. Sometimes I need one that will get some materials off the ground in the crawlspace under a house I'm building (shorter one there). I need shorter ones to hold up taller stuff and vise versa. I only need a top that is a 2 X 4 if they will be used in pairs to hold up a sheet of MDF as a table for lunch but need a wide-topped saw horse if it will be used by itself. Maybe it's a wide-topped but short saw horse that doubles as a something to stand on while doing the cut-in during painting.

I'm just confused as to what the right saw horse is. I guess it just has to be sturdy.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Sounds like a cool idea and I really like the plans linked to earlier in the thread. I have to say for the most part I agree with Andy on this one. I've got several sets of the folding plastic horses that have served me well over the years. They're not as sturdy as a shop built set but they sure are convenient. I have been thinking about building a set out of treated and just keeping them outside under the deck....

Travis

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sounds like a cool idea and I really like the plans linked to earlier in the thread. I have to say for the most part I agree with Andy on this one. I've got several sets of the folding plastic horses that have served me well over the years. They're not as sturdy as a shop built set but they sure are convenient. I have been thinking about building a set out of treated and just keeping them outside under the deck....

Travis

For sawhorses that will stay out in the weather, I'd suggest using a urethane / waterproof glue in addition to screws. The horses I use that are just nailed together seem to take a beating from the weather too quickly (although, I do have to admit that the horses on a construction site take an awful beating from more than just the weather).

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Bob,

I like those a lot. They serve the same purpose as the HF plastic ones without the embarassment.

I think the point of what I was getting is that over the years I wished my sturdy sawhorses were smaller a lot more often than I wished my small folding sawhorses were sturdier. I don't care for breakdowns either; I don't have right mindset. Half the time I unfold a sawhorse I have to do it with one hand because I am already holding what needs to go under it...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I've got a couple of sturdy standard horses so I've been attracted to this sawbench from Lost Art:

http://blog.lostartpress.com/CategoryView,category,Downloads.aspx

I really wish I had made my horses so they would stack on top of each other.:gar-Cr

That was the basis for mine, but I also canted the legs out toward the ends for greater stability.;

If you do that, remember to put the end braces INSIDE the legs, (like the one on the right) or they interfere with the rip notch clearance. The one on the right was made using no electrical power tools or metal fasteners.

Go

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I made a pair of the I-beam horses similar to the ones Andy linked to. However, I didn't put the stretchers on mine. They are extremely sturdy and have taken everything I've thrown on them for many years. Fairly stack-able as well.:icon_thum

If they ever break (doubtful) I'll build another set just like them.

The best thing about building them is all 90 deg. cuts and a handful of screws and you're done!:banana:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I tried to draw something up in sketch up but:gar-Cr I hate computers...... a sheet of plywood and 1 2x6 stud with some scraps and glue and screws would get you all you need in a pair of saw horses. the ply gets cut like an "A" with a notch in the top. scraps glued and screwed to the 2x6. [you cut this into 2 pieces] at a slight angle. the ply slips in between the scraps for set up and takedown is easy too you just lift the 2x6 and the ends fall on the floor. clear as mud??????

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tried to draw something up in sketch up but:gar-Cr I hate computers...... a sheet of plywood and 1 2x6 stud with some scraps and glue and screws would get you all you need in a pair of saw horses. the ply gets cut like an "A" with a notch in the top. scraps glued and screwed to the 2x6. [you cut this into 2 pieces] at a slight angle. the ply slips in between the scraps for set up and takedown is easy too you just lift the 2x6 and the ends fall on the floor. clear as mud??????
Sounds like a temporary roadway barricade system NCDOT uses. :icon_thum

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Travis
I'm in Durham. Wondering how close you are to me??

If you are near Cole Mill Rd, give me a shout.

dan

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

That is exactly what I have been using for the last 8+ years. I think I found the plan in Wood mag, with a full size template. The best I could find on the interwebs is this article. I topped the top beam with some cleats and a 4" wide strip of rough Poplar that can be changed out as it gets worn out. They knock down almost flat, store easily and are study as heck.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS