Dream sawhorses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Hey Travis
I'm in Durham. Wondering how close you are to me??

If you are near Cole Mill Rd, give me a shout.

dan

Sounds like we're very close. I live off Rose of Sharon in the neighborhood next to Riverside HS. I also notice this is your very first post. Let me be the first to welcome you to NCWW and I strongly encourage you to introduce yourself in the "Who We Are" forums so everyone can say hello!

Travis

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't know if I'd call them "dream saw horses", but here's a thought using 6 pieces of red oak culls.

Small shop footprint for both combined and no splayed legs to trip over or around. Lightweight. The lower stretcher is a good place for milled stuff or future firewood. The top stretcher is easily replaced when worn, dinged up, cut, or otherwise a pain; only 2 screws. No horizontal or vertical racking or rocking.

P2150120.jpg

P2150121.jpg

Courtesy of James Krenov (a master now deceased).

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=32984

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I'm saving pics and gathering links to share with the Meetup tonight.

So many clever solutions, I might just have to build one of each :)

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
So many clever solutions, I might just have to build one of each :)
Don't pick the hardest one, or your dream sawhorse could turn into a nightmare...
(sorry, couldn't help myself :slap:)

Trog777

New User
Trog
I REALLY like the one on the right. Might have to build a simpler one of those if I ever get caught up. All those cubbyholes on the bottom would be useless to my old back, but I like the rest of it. Thanks for posting that.

sawhorse2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

jimsto2

New User
Jim
Have you looked at the one's in the current FWW 201Tips For Woodworkers book? I like adjustable height one on Pg. 13.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks Bob G.
GREAT design, easy to put togeather, foldable to save space and cheap.
Looks like the next project for me.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like a lot of the designs I've seen here. Being a 2nd generation builder, I can tell you that BITD, a man's sawhorses were his job application. Dad would often times ask an interviewee to build a set of sawhorses before he hired him.
If the man was sloppy with that task he would be sloppy with others.
If the man was slow with that task he would be slow with others.
If the man was wasteful with that task he would be wasteful with others.
Like the pics seen here, there was no 'perfect' sawhorse, but the results did give an idea of the builder's skills & attitude towards their work.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
There's three types on this Handyman Workshop Workhorses article.

I built eight of the folding one with a number of variations: smaller (21"H), no roller top attachment, simple square (no braces or chamfered top buck overhang), piano hinge across the top. What I like about them is that they are so thin when folded (1-1/2") so you can stack a bunch together. They are also strong and easy to make. I used a biscuit joiner, but this would also work fine with dowels or cutting each half out of a single sheet of 3/4" plywood.

I always intended to make a "saw through" top but I mostly use them with doors and haven't cut into them in the year or two I've had them. It also makes them a little more solid to saw the feet to the open angle.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can't see them all that well on my 'berry but it looks like these may need to go into the Links Library!

M

McRabbet

Go for it, Dennis, but you only need the first link because the "extras" are already in the first link!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I added the link to the library.

Would you call my shop a sawhorse stable?

Or, maybe a herd?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS