Double Gloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
1)
I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me help in choosing a thickness planer. I went with the Ridgid, as it had great reviews and it was recomended (and most importantly in my price range). So I'm a proud new owner of the Ridgid planer that worked great for me this past weekend. [FYI... I saved 10% (~$30) by buying a Home Depot coupon from ebay for $3.15... worked like a charm]

2)
My in-laws had an old secretary desk in their garage that was falling apart. It was literaly on its last leg. Of course, me being so interested in woodworking, I told them I could repair it. Well, they gave it to me to have... so now that I've fixed the legs that were falling off, I'm going to strip the darker stain/varnish that wasn't original to the piece (the inside shows the lighter stain/varnish that is probably from the beginning of the piece). Take a look at the pics below, the front has a neat carving on it (a possible lion?). I'm going to find out more about the history of this desk... as I think it's pretty old. It is currently being used as a nice place for our incoming and outgoing mail. Much better than what we had before. Oh, btw, I forgot to put the drawer back in before I took that pic.

Brian
sec_desk_001.jpg

sec_desk_003.jpg

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Brian, nice score on both the planer and the desk.:icon_thum I bet your learn a lot as you refinish that desk. Remember to take a close look at how the desk was constructed originally. Sometimes you can pick up some interesting construction techniques along the way.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
1) good for you, and saving money on it to boot. Now you can save even more by buying rough stock and planing it yourself.

2) I look forward to seeing that piece once you've stripped it and refinished it. It looks very cool. What did you have to do to fix the legs??

Dave:)

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Well, when I say I had to repair the leg, it was really the whole left side and the front left leg. I didn't notice it right away, but I will have to do the same with the right side and right leg as it seems the original glue isn't holding very well.

I definitely took the time to look over the joinery as I was removing the old glue. Much different than I expected, but pretty cool. Somehow I have to fix the inside part as well, which will be a challenge because of the limited space I have inside of the desk... but challenges are fun. :-D
sec_desk_005.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful desk, Brian!!!!:eusa_danc The carving(s) are awesome!

Congrats on getting the new planer. Had mine about three weeks and already saving money on stock and besides the selection of wood at the lumberyard is far better than the BORG or Lowes...thats for sure!!!!

Happy planing! And.....post some pics when you get the desk refurbed!

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Congrats on both deals. I have that Ridgid planer too and I love it. Don't forget the 'after' photos of the desk.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on the Ridgid and the secretary Brian. The planer is one of my favorite tools . . . it's relatively safe and doesn't require much attention :lol:

Look forward to your progress on the secretary :icon_thum

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Brian that desk looks very interesting.

About the planer, you know the deal...no pics, didn't happen. :lol:

Chuck

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Anybody know a good place in the Charlotte area where I can get an appraisal on antique furniture?

Mike, I have been holding off refinishing this because I was somewhat scared of this. That's why I want to find out more about the history of this piece. I'm not sure, but it may have been a piece brought over from Scotland (where my wife's family was from a few generations back). If I find out that this is the original, then I'll leave it alone.

Chuck, I'll have a pic of my planer soon. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS