Double drum sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I saw that, and was trying to figure out how to hide it from LOML.... of course I couldn't do that, because the shop is so full that it would have to reside in the kitchen or living room!

sediener

New User
Steve
Could someone explain to me the pros/cons of drum/double drum/widebelt sanders? I've got my eye on that new 22/44 Oscillating ...

- Steve

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I had the exact double drum sander by Woodtec. I bought it for 250.00, kept it for a year and sold it for 200.00 and it still looked like new. Kind of like selling a boat; happiest day of my life. In fact it belonged on a boat-
as an anchor!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Could someone explain to me the pros/cons of drum/double drum/widebelt sanders? I've got my eye on that new 22/44 Oscillating ...

- Steve

Most drum sanders are just that, a drum. They take paper (either plain or hook and loop) wound around them at an angle so they cover the entire drum. Personally, I found them to be a PITA to change paper, so when I had my drum sander I left it at 100 grit paper all the time. The number one use I had for it was flattening panels. My unit (that I recently sold :gar-Bi) was a single drum, single arm, a 22-44. There are two issues with a single arm unit in my opinion. One, getting it aligned parallel to your table. I had very little trouble with this. Two, if you touch the drum or arm while sanding, you will receive a free no charge valley in your wood.

If I were to buy a drum sander again, I would go with a dual arm 25" minimum. It is very rare to need to sand anything over 25" and not having to worry about those courtesy valleys by touching it is a plus. The reviews on the Jet oscillating unit have been VERY positive.

The problem with a drum to me is the time to change paper. Some of the better made units (Woodmaster for one) have good adjustment mechanisms to ensure the table is parallel and adjusting the depth of sanding. They are also made with better quality parts that are readily available over the counter.

Now we move on to a wide belt sander. These come in single arm or dual arm as well. A wide belt sander is very similar to a portable belt sander that it uses a belt and many have a removable platen (the bottom piece on a portable belt). I am a newbie to wide belt sanding, but I can sincerely say after using it and comparing it to a Performax 22-44 PRO, OH MY GOD!!!!!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON!!! I can change a belt in a matter of seconds. Mine has a removable platen so you can do aggressive stock removal, or you leave the platen in for finish sanding. With my wide belt, I sanded all of the parts for 38 raised panel doors front and back to .750 inches thick to 150 grit in about 30 minutes with a helper. That was 190 parts front and back 2 passes each side. AMAZING. The other thing I can do with a wide belt that I could not do with a drum is finish sand plywood.

The downside to a wide belt is cost, space, power (mine is 10 hp 3 phase), and belt costs (belts for mine are around $60 each).

If you want to come check out a wide belt, send me a PM. You are welcome to come over.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Robert,

Everything that Travis said. I have a Northstate 17" open end sander and I could not be happier with it. Mine is 3 phase, 7hp and the power requirements are not an issue. Belts are about 22.00 and during sanding, you can change grits in 30 seconds. It is also available in single phase, 5hp. Bernard who lives in your area has the identical sander and it may be possible for you to arrange to see his. Cost new is about $4,000. from www.leneavesupply.com

THERE IS A PICTURE OF MINE IN MY PHOTOS

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS