DJ20 with byrd head anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I am thinking real hard on replacing the original 3 blade cutter head with a byrd helical head, and am looking for some guidance.
Anyone out there been thru the process?

thanks

Mac

pviser

New User
paul
Yes, I did it six months ago. I had the assistance of a friend knowledgeable/experienced about gears, bearings, chains, etc. This was very helpful and I may have had significant trouble without his help. That said, I am thrilled with my Byrd-Shelix cutterhead. It was worth the expense and the hassle.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I put a Shelix on my DJ-20 a little over four years ago. Much easier than putting one on my 15" planer.

If your DJ-20 is older than a few years or used heavily, change the bearings. Get a free loaner bearing puller from an AutoZone or other autoparts store.

By the way I love it. My jointer tried to eat an engineer's square a few months ago (don't ask). It buggered a half dozen inserts and was leaving lines in boards. The inserts have four edges so I just rotated the buggered ones, and now it cuts just fine!

bwat

New User
Bill
I added the Byrd head to my DJ20 weeks ago and love it. You will not regret the upgrade. Like Alan said, good bearings are relatively cheap so why not upgrade while you have them out.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Thanks guys for the vote. I am planning on the purchase and the install, just shopping around for the best price, any suggestions would be great.
I am also planning the same for my woodmaster 718. However I can only find it offered thru woodmaster, but I know that there has to be other places that make it for the woodmaster too. (atleast I am hoping that there is, even if it is to do a price comparison.).
Anybody gone thru the steps for doing it on a woodmaster?
Anything that I should be aware of/tricks for either the Dj20 or the woodmaster, please speak up. Yes I am planning to replace the bearings when I do the Dj20 37-350 8" jointer that I have.
No more setting knives for me. hehehehe

Mac

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
My jointer tried to eat an engineer's square a few months ago (don't ask). It buggered a half dozen inserts and was leaving lines in boards.

Now, now, Alan. You, of all people, should know that you are supposed to square the *Jointer* with the Engineer's Square, not the Engineer's Square with the Jointer! :)

If you are nervous about tackling a project like this, either find someone who has done this job before, or someone comfortable (and equipped) for at least modest automotive repair and you should be pretty well set. Use a digital camera and take some notes during disassembly so that you can use them as a guide during reassembly. If necessary, you can use a carbide-tipped scratch all to write numbering guides onto parts (place the scratches on non-wear sections of the various parts, like the side of a gear or sprocket). Use labeled ziplocs (or equiv) to organize small parts such as nuts and bolts and make a note of which bolts go where.

Good luck!

bwat

New User
Bill
Bought mine through Rick @ The Woodworking Source. The DJ20 is a reasonably popular unit upgrade and I believe a stock item for Byrd so delivery was fast. Good luck!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Brian at Holbren often has good prices. They give Woodnet members (any WW forum?) a 10% discount ($449, $404 w/ discount). Grizzly often has a good price on the Byrd heads as well ($385), but you will need to compare shipping/and tax to see which is cheaper.

jhreed

New User
james
Why would he need a bearing puller? Just leave the old bearings on the straight knife arbor?
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS