Dining table - Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Outstanding David, as always. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I remember you sharing the concept with us and couldn't wait to see it all finished. Absolutely breathtaking work. Can't wait for the "how-to". :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a gorgeous piece, David!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

I think I am with Bas on this one, all of those angles tenon's and funky aprons have my head going into overload as well!:elvis:

I will look forward to reading more of build detail, if you can afford the time.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Thanks so much for sharing the end result. You have to be very proud of this piece of work!

Wayne

TedAS

New User
Ted
WOW!!!
That is absolutely beautiful, I love the design.

The finish looks flawless, What did you use?

Ted

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thou art a masochist!! :gar-La;

It looks great, David. The materials selection (stock and glass) really sets the piece off. Well, that and the workmanship...and the design... :cool:

I bet the man hours piled up on this one.

What's the finish?

Chuck

M

McRabbet

David,

Another beautiful design and, as always, superbly executed. I'm sure Carol is thrilled with it! BTW, it was great seeing you at the Hickory event.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
David,

I'm out in Dalifornia, and just logged on to NCWW for the first time in a couple of days, and saw this. Absolutely stunning!!! Imaginative design coupled with perfect execution, the goals that each of us try to achieve, but rarely, if ever, do. :notworthy: Thanks for posting all of the pics. The only problem is now that you have set the bar so high, what will you do next? Whatever it is, I can't wait to see it.

Matt

DavidF

New User
David
WOW!!!
That is absolutely beautiful, I love the design.

The finish looks flawless, What did you use?

Ted

Thanks Ted,

I wanted the warm colour of an oil finish with the protection of a film finish. I went with another Target coatings finish - I used their "Clear base stain" which although designed to be tinted as a stain coat, is also formulated to act like a linseed oil and penetrate the grain and "pop" the figure. This it does!! A single coat was enough and the curl really came out. This was followed by 4 coats of their new product - EM2000, again, formulated to produce a "hand rubbed oil finish" a rub down with 400g before the final coat was all that was required. After 100 hrs it is fully cured. I followed this with one very like coat of wax applied with a 3M pad. I was very pleased with the result straight from the gun, even though there are areas of grain that are not fully filled and can be felt with the fingers, I decided not to cover any more in order to retain a "softer" look. Even in the worst exposing side light, the surface looks flat and even, I was very relieved. The same attention was given to the base.

Just for info: I sprayed a test piece as well, but only two coats and did some resistance tests on it. I spilled tap water on it and then sat a glass on top of that. After 2 hours, wiped the water off, no sign of any damage. I then did the same with vodka (not that we ever spill any!) after 2 hours sitting on the surface there was a horrible white ring. I took a hair dryer to it and the ring went away completely. In some light, if you tried hard, you could see the mark because it was flat with no sheen at all. I would surmise that a buff with micro mesh would restore the surface, wax does not. I then did the salt test. I sprinkled two types of salt, normal table salt and then rock salt, and then rubbed with the underside of a plate to simulate the worst thing I can imagine happening and there was no sign of the abuse after brushing off the crushed salt. To say I was impressed is an under statement!

DavidF

New User
David
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Loving it! Very ZEN like with the glass representing a flowing stream (at least that's my interpret).

Cant wait to see it live!

Matt

Thanks Matt, the glass also has a gold sparkle powder in it and looks just like the sand in the Caribbean. Carolina Glass and Mirror did a great job. We had them produce at least six samples for us and they kept at it until I had the look I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors