Desk Project - with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Last February I decided to build myself some office furniture and I wanted to make it my own design. I started out wanting it to be all veneer but but I came across some Bubinga planks that fall into that once in a lifetime wood purchase category and they followed me home! As it turns out the planks will also be used to build a coffee table and a couple of end tales so I will not have much left over when I am done. I will use veneer for the base of the desk and remaining furniture for the office.

As you can tell I do not spend much time in the shop and I tend to take it real slow when I am in the shop so all I have accomplished to date is finishing the top for the desk. Since the desk top came into the house yesterday I thought I would post some pictures. You can also look at a blog I am keeping that is a chronicle of my efforts. This is the link to the blog:

http://homepage.mac.com/wpappas/Office Furniture Web Journal/

One note - the blog is hosted on my mac account and I am not sure what happens when it gets a bunch of hits so if you can not get to it try it again at some other time.

Here are a few pictures showing the desk top that are posted in NCWW photo gallery:

As you can see I have proof that the bubinga planks followed me home - the plank just jumped into the truck!

IMG_2079.jpg

Chalk outline of the potential victim - the Desktop.
IMG_2087.jpg

I made a pattern because I just did not trust myself cutting in to this plank without a good pattern to guide me..

IMG_21311.jpg

Desktop cutout and ready for flattening - I sanded it flat because it was not bad to start with - It took a good bit of sandpaper to flatten this thing because it is very hard wood and kills the sandpaper.

IMG_21361.jpg

Picture of how I mounted the keyboard tray mounts. It looks like serious overkill and it is but the keyboard tray mounts can also be used to carry the top and it weighs about 150lbs so I was no taking any chances.

IMG_0246.jpg

Finished top still on bench in shop - I sanded through 220 and used Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal (Semi-Gloss) for the finish. The black lines you see toward the top of the picture were cracks that I filled with epoxy to stabilize them.

IMG_02551.jpg

Finished top in shop with keyboard tray installed. The keyboard tray is quilted maple trimmed with scraps from the plank.

IMG_02561.jpg

Desktop in my home office, sitting on Husky X-Workhorses. At some point I will find time to build the base of the desk, in the interim these will work out just fine.

IMG_02691.jpg

Desktop starting to collect some clutter - I hate covering up this wood!

IMG_02711.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bill

skeeter

New User
Charles
Bill, that's one awesome desktop. Isn't it fun when a beautiful piece of lumber follows you home like that. Nice jpb.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that's some amazing wood :eek::eek::eek: Actually the interim legs don't look too bad. If you don't mind giving up the drawer storage you might consider making some wood legs like the Husky Workhorses. The simplicity of the leg design really draws your eyes to the top.
It's a dream of mine to be able to play with wood like that someday...lucky you.

Dave:)

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Great job on the top. I had to look at it several times to see that the edge treatment is different across the rear from the rest of the top. Your woodworking skills are impressive, but I'm even more impressed with your patience. Keep those progress pictures coming.

M

McRabbet

That is indeed an awesome slab of Bubinga! I know the feelings you had when you made the decision to buy it -- to me it is one of the most incredible species of wood in the world. Yours looks like it is about 5/4 thick, but the figure in it is really amazing! I love the way you laid out the top in a free form shape with a built-in spot for the desk chair and keyboard tray. The edging profile is an excellent choice and the finish worked out very well -- I like Seal-a-Cell and Arm-r-Seal and frankly, I'm surprised at how well this looks (I would probably have used a short-oil varnish like Behlen's Rockhard Tabletop Varnish and buffed it out to achieve the satin look).

Looking forward to seeing it when finished.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
HOLY COW, what an awesome piece of wood and the end result is beautiful. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Brian.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Breathless and salivating all over my keyboard. WOW !!!
Absolutely a most beautiful slab of wood and an GREAT job of showing it. The Quilted maple just takes the cake for adding to to beauty of your desk.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow! Usually photos don't do wood any justice, but in this case, it is truly fantastic. The figure and fire! what a treasure!

Truly inspiring stuff, congrats!

Matt

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
SWEEEEEET!!!!!! I really like the Bubinga and the contrast of the quilted keyboard tray. I also find the curved opening above the keyboard pleasing to the eye. Wonderfully well executed. Thanks for posting!

Doug

sapwood

New User
Roger
Bill, you did the wood justice :icon_thum
Spectacular wood and I agree that the edge treatment is a striking addition.

Roger

Badabing

New User
Joe
Unbelievably beautiful!!! I can't imagine how you would follow up on something like that when you make the rest of the desk :dontknow: I think Dave's right, just make a simple base and give up the drawer space :icon_thum I think that piece will be in your family for generations to come!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've looked at this post 5 times and the only thing that comes to mind is
WOW!!!!!!

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Beautiful! The grain of both the bubinga and quilted maple is wonderful! Looking forward to more of your work.

tv

BiggE98

New User
Eric
That's a great looking desktop. The figure is excellent and great contrast with the keyboard tray.:icon_thum:icon_thum Keep the pictures coming.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS