Delta bandsaw lower thrust bearing stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Hi,

I have a standard Delta 14" bandsaw that I have been ignoring and am starting to use again to cut blanks for wood turning. My problem is that on the lower guide assembly the mechanical setup that keeps the thrust bearing in place to keep the blade from being pushed back is not holding its ground. There is something missing, I am thinking maybe just one metal ring that has a set screw in it to stop the bearing from being pushed back. Can anyone point me to a diagram or picture of what that lower guide assembly should look like? I am pretty sure I am missing a piece I just don't know where.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Re: Delta thrust bearing and more questions

Thanks very much everyone. After a closer look I found that the collar on the 1/2 inch adjustment post for that thrust bearing had somehow jumped out of the pocket that it belongs in on the left side table bolt as you are facing the saw. Now that it is back where it should be it seems to be tracking well. The problem that I had, and I am not absolutely sure of this but it seems to make sense, is that if I was not holding on as firmly as I should have been to the green wood that I was cutting the upper part of the blade would yank the wood down very suddenly and take the blade off the track and bend it. As I have just discovered Timberwolf blades that cut about 100 times better than Lowes or Home Depot blades it really bummed me out to have a $25 blade become practically worthless in a blink of an eye. I think I had made about two cuts on the blade and was thinking of writing Timberwolf to compliment them on making such a superior blade when the big bang came. I was able to bend back the worst of the bent part of the blade and get it to track, and it will cut but it is not a very efficient cut for sure. It would skip ahead about half an inch every time the bent part came around. I believe that the lower thrust bearing not being there had alot to do with the blade freaking out on me. I hope. I am cutting green wood once again with my 3/8" Timberwolf and cool blocks and it is working like a dream.

Another bandsaw question. In the Woodcraft catalog I see "Carter Bandsaw Blade Stabilizers" on page 19 of the July-August 2009 issue. It costs $80 and looks like an excellent idea. On the next page though I see "Band Saw Roller Guides" for a few dollars less. Has anyone used either on of these blade stabilizing add ons? The only thing I would worry about on the Roller Guides is the risk of the round bearings that the blade would roll on getting chewed up if the blade was not adjusted correctly. I would not think it would take long for this to happen.

Thanks again for all the info. Now I know where to get parts for Delta.

Jim Lee

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Re: Delta thrust bearing and more questions

<snip>Another bandsaw question. In the Woodcraft catalog I see "Carter Bandsaw Blade Stabilizers" on page 19 of the July-August 2009 issue. It costs $80 and looks like an excellent idea. On the next page though I see "Band Saw Roller Guides" for a few dollars less. Has anyone used either on of these blade stabilizing add ons? The only thing I would worry about on the Roller Guides is the risk of the round bearings that the blade would roll on getting chewed up if the blade was not adjusted correctly. I would not think it would take long for this to happen.

Thanks again for all the info. Now I know where to get parts for Delta.

Jim Lee
Assuming you mean the "Bandrollers" (tm), then they and the Carter guide do slightly different things.

The Carter is designed to support small blades and it replaces the thrust bearing. But it doesn't eliminate the need for side support, except in very narrow blades.

The Bandrollers are that side support..but they don't eliminate the need for a thrust bearing.

If you follow proper set-up procedure, the bandrollers will never touch the blade. I have had something very similar on my Hitachi resaw for years with never a problem. IMO, the biggest problem with these roller-style guides is that by their design, the blade has less support - less contact area and the roller touches the blade higher - than with a block-style guide.

I would not replace cool blocks with the bandrollers unless you are having a clear problem with the cool blocks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors