dedicated pen forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I was just wandering if it would make sense to have a separate forum for pen turning? While I do turn pens and like to read about them I would like to learn about other types of turning as well. This is not meant to be a complaint, just a thought. I always enjoy my visits to the site.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I was just wandering if it would make sense to have a separate forum for pen turning? While I do turn pens and like to read about them I would like to learn about other types of turning as well. This is not meant to be a complaint, just a thought. I always enjoy my visits to the site.
It is a pretty good idea, but let's get a few more opinions first. Particularly the staff, since they have to maintain it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, separating the pen turning from the rest of the "regular" turning forum would help folks who are sick of seeing pens avoid that section all together :lol:
I think that pen turning is turning just like anything other type of turning and has similar questions, plus some of it's very own also. I think that having a separate Penturning forum would be redundant and might make it a little harder to navigate and search the forums. Plus keeping the pens in the "regular" turning forum insures that there will always be some activity in that forum for folks to view...pens seem to reproduce like rabbits :lol:
So my vote would be No, not that it isn't a good idea, but IMO not needed.
Dave:)

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Keep it as is please.

Any and every piece of art that our community turns out (pun intended) is more than welcome and is truly inspirational.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I am another vote for keeping as is. Since I am able to log in several times a day, I find it, for me, easier to just go to the home page which gives me the latest posts regardless of the forum. If I didn't do this, and I tried for a while, I would have to click on each forum to see what new posts there were. Another forum would just make me have to click on one more forum.

George

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Though I own three Lathes I do not consdier myself a turner at all.
I have 1 and 1/2 bowls and one of them is really a coffee cup without a handle.
I consider myslef a pen CRAFTER because most of my time is put into the blank before it even hits the lathe.
The lathe is but one in a number of tools I use to make a pen, and the finished product is not always wood.
The mechanical act of turning a "square shape" into a cylindrical one is not rocket science and I think a monkey could be taught to do that part of making a pen.
A separate forum for penturners would also include a lot of the things that pertain to making a pen or blank that has nothing to do with using a lathe.
All that being said, since this forum is for NC woodworkers and"surrounding counties" My concern is would there be enough traffic to warrant it.
I read turning forums for information regarding the tool I someday hope to learn to use.The Penturning thing, I think I am getting the hang of.
(It is all one grand experiment)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I think we go through phases and right now a lot of folks are turning pens and experimenting with different woods and techniques for building blanks. I learn a lot from every post and I haven't seen a single post on "How to turn a pen".

Seeing the different ideas on laminating and different types of wood inspire me to think about things I want to try in my projects and I haven't the slightest idea how to turn pens.

Besides I haven't found a 6 foot pen kit yet. :rolf:

So, I vote: leave it.
Here ya go,one of the best
The Pen Pages

sapwood

New User
Roger
I think we go through phases and right now a lot of folks are turning pens . . . .

So, I vote: leave it.

For now, I agree with Mike. Let's give it a while longer and see if the trend holds. If it does, we can make it a subforum under Turning.

Just my $.00000002 (adjusted for value),
Roger

gsdoby

New User
Gary
OK. I think I see this idea does not seem appropriate for this time. Thanks for the input. I am fine with that. I would just like to encourage more non pen posts. I am relatively new to turning and would like to see other ideas

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would just like to encourage more non pen posts. I am relatively new to turning and would like to see other ideas

I am doing bottle stoppers ..now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree there are a lot of pens being turned, but they are great projects. The more interest and postings there are in the Turning forum, will bring more interest and postings in the Turning forum. We don't have a lot of turners, so maybe a more active turning forum will attract more turners to the site.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS