Day 4 Clas Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
There isn't much to show about todays activities. Lots of rasping and shaping going on. They guys worked hard all day on their spindles. I estimate that I spend about 5 hrs a peice on the spindles in my current rocker. The 9 hr day is a good start at it for the guys. Everyone had their spindles sized to fit their seats and went to work shaping them.

Steveraspingspindles.jpg

montyspokeshavespindle.jpg

Here are one of the guys spindles after initial rounding.

spindleround.jpg

And after a little shaping...

spindleshaped.jpg

They guys are doing great. We should be dropping a couple chairs on rockers during the next class. :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmm, looks like a sweat shop! You've got them focused and working hard. :eusa_whis

And everyone has their own bench :eusa_clap

Rock on! It won't be long until we see the proud and happy faces of accomplished chairmakers :mrgreen:

Enjoying the updates,
Sapwood

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Those feller's are going to need to sit and relax a spell in them rockers when they are done! (...and maybe a tall cool one too, in celebration!:eusa_clap ) I am working up a sweat just lookin' at the pics!

The bench's look like they are hard at work too! (The penguins don't appear to be distracting the guys work either!)

Thanks for the pics!

Wayne

cskipper

Cathy
There's certainly a lot of hard work being done there! It looks like everyone is making great progress!

M

McRabbet

Great pics of "men at work" -- and the new benches show that your efforts over the past three weeks has not been in vain -- nice work by all!

Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Those rockers are coming along nicely. Its amazing how much goes into shaping them. I know each of those guys will love it when they have a finished rocker to sit in. It looks like those pattern vices are getting a real workout.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Shaping those spindles took a lot more work than I expected... we're still not completely done after an entire day of rasping and shaving! Thanks to John for his encouragement and guidance to keep us all on track.

I will say, though... the process was made much easier (and the work more enjoyable) because of those nice workbench penguins! :icon_thum

J

jeff...

Those feller's are going to need to sit and relax a spell in them rockers when they are done! (...and maybe a tall cool one too, in celebration!:eusa_clap ) I am working up a sweat just lookin' at the pics!

After a day like that, a tall cool one - Now your talking my language, bring on the Bass Ale! :eek:ccasion1

Monty

New User
Monty
After a full day of working on those spindles, my arms felt like rubber! But it was all worth it... I was able to come up with this: (click the thumbnails)

My design is not nearly as creative as Steve's and John's, but I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far. :cool:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Hey Monty...........you started with 6 spindles and now only have 5.

What happened to the sixth one? Or is the extra spindle being used to beat up wayward penguins?

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
D L Ames said:
What happened to the sixth one?

Don't ask. :-?

:lol: Seriously, my intention was to have 5 spindles. We were instructed to start with a "spare", you know... "just in case". Well, let's just say it's a good thing we all had a spare. :oops: So far, Brandon is the only one who still has a usable spare left!!!

woodguy1975

New User
John
D L Ames said:
Hey Monty...........you started with 6 spindles and now only have 5.

What happened to the sixth one? Or is the extra spindle being used to beat up wayward penguins?

D L

It is a rule. You make one more than what you plan on having in the chair. Monty, Steve, and I all burned our extra by misrasping or over rasping. Brandon is the only one with an extra still in tact. :eusa_clap

It can get confusing when you are getting tired which is front or back. Since they are ground exactly the same for the supportive surface it is important that you don't have to make one later. You'll feel that spindle right away.

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
Curvy Spindles

As Monty mentioned Steve and I went off on a tangent with our spindle design. Steve inspired some creativity. I wanted to do something different on this rocker after making my first one. This one will definitely be different. (Click the pics for bigger ones)(Following the lead here!)

You may think that the spindles are nearly done here..... Each one will still have 2-3 hrs of sanding and fine tuning before it will be complete. Right now you can see subtile differences between them. After we are finished with them they will match and be smooth as silk.

spindles_small.jpg

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice looking spindles John. Very interesting shape which makes them look like they were cut in sequence.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
D L Ames said:
Nice looking spindles John. Very interesting shape which makes them look like they were cut in sequence.

D L

Yeah, the grain on the spindles gives a really cool look when I put them in this particular order. It almost looks matched as you move from the center to the outer spindles. The standard shape Monty is doing really saves a lot of shaping time, but the "zig-zap" shape is growing on me. :mrgreen:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Jealousy rears its ugly head!!! I sure wish I was close enough to take this class. Man, what an opportunity to learn some wonderful skills and make a great heirloom. I am learning bunches just from all the wonderful photos. Thanks for the tutorial!!!:icon_thum

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I finally got around to uploading a pic of my spindles. Yes, my design is a bit out there.........:mrgreen:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dang Steve.........I bet you'll be happy to get that Crescent jointer operational so you can square up some of that twisted lumber you have been working with.:lol:

BTW........your spindles look great. Very creative.:icon_thum
D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS