Cypress Out-White Oak In!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Yesterday I removed a charge of 2" cypress that had been in my solar kiln since early June, I think. It really came out nice! Some of Ivey's stuff, almost totally knot free! I'll sell some of it if anyone is interested.

I replaced it with approximately 700 bf of some pretty nice white oak, 8' and 10' lengths, mostly 6 and 8 inch widths. Should make some nice furniture about next spring.

The oak had been air drying for about a year and the MC is 17-20%, so I'm hoping to get it down to <10% eventually.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My solar kiln is built from the VA Tech plan. Its capacity in around 800 bf. You can find the plans, (Drawing) on the VA Tech web site. Just google "solar kiln" and you'll get several links.

The kiln is designed to dry red oak, which is supposedly one of the more difficult woods to dry. I have used mine mostly for drying cypress and have been very pleased with the results.:icon_thum Several people on here have purchased cypress from me. The drying rate is dependent upon several factors, among which are the MC (moisture content) of the wood going in and mainly on the hours of sunshine available. It's pretty much all about the sunshine, and not on ambient temperatures.

Virginia Tech offers a 2 day course in Solar Kiln Operation and Drying. It was the best money I have spent in a long time. Dr. Brian Bond is the head instructor, along with some other very knowledgeable people. If you build a kiln, or are thinking of building one, I would definitely take this course.

Finally, any NCWW is welcomed to come and see my kiln in operation. There are a few things I'd do differently if and when I build another one.

Hope this helps.
:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS