Cyclone to Duct Connection Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The cyclone has an 8" inlet port ... and the duct is 8". I opted to use the Nordfab duct and it seems to be an exact size match to the inlet port ... so I'm going to have to do something to hook them together. Any ideas? I could resort to tape, but I'd prefer something a bit neater. How have you done it?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Cyclone to Duct Conection Help Needed

I didn't use Nordfab, I used Oneida's fittings. The 8" elbow fit perfectly into the cyclone intance on mine. No adjustments necessary.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Don't know if this will work, But what about turning a collar out of some wood to go around both of them snugly?

Just a thought!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

I didn't use Nordfab, I used Oneida's fittings. The 8" elbow fit perfectly into the cyclone intance on mine. No adjustments necessary.

The Nordfab's have a rolled "lip" on the end. I am wondering if I need to cut if off at the inlet, but I'd rather not.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I suspect you are going to have to do something like that... Could you come off of it with a straight section before going into an elbow?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Cool~! I have been having to save money lately and thinking of jigs for fixing things. Hope it works whatever you do~!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

I suspect you are going to have to do something like that... Could you come off of it with a straight section before going into an elbow?

It would be the same problem because they all have the rolled lip. I don't have as large a shop as yours, so I've got to get that thing up, up, and away (from my head).

Here's another question ... what if I cut a slice into the dust collectors inlet about 1/8" wide and 3" deep so that I could "compress" the inlet enough to slide the duct around it. Think that would work?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

I wonder if you could use a section of 8" flex hose (rubber pipe or something similar) to use as a coupler. It doesn't have to be rigid, just sealed....

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

I wonder if you could use a section of 8" flex hose (rubber pipe or something similar) to use as a coupler. It doesn't have to be rigid, just sealed....

I knew some good ideas would come out of this ... now if I only had 8" flex hose! CRAP!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

It would be the same problem because they all have the rolled lip. I don't have as large a shop as yours, so I've got to get that thing up, up, and away (from my head).

Here's another question ... what if I cut a slice into the dust collectors inlet about 1/8" wide and 3" deep so that I could "compress" the inlet enough to slide the duct around it. Think that would work?

I would slice the duct before slicing the collector inlet. then slid it over the inlet. or..... what about one of those crimpers that are used HVAC people to fit duct material together? looks like a pair of pliers with about 5 sets of jaws. I've got some but........ ur in charlotte!:gar-La;

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Trust me ... the duct is expensive too! :eek: I guess a cut would be one evil, or another. The reason I chose the cyclone was the cut would be hidden as the duct is actually a bit larger than the inlet in that respect.

The inside diameter of the cyclone is 7 3/4", the inside diameter of the duct is 7 7/8", and outside diameter of the cyclone is 8". Figures!!! Gotta love standards!:gar-Cr

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if you cut off the rolled lip would it slide on? or is the lip on the outside?:dontknow:
the crimpers I mentioned reduce the size of the duct to fit inside the next piece. you may need to cut the lip off anyway. um.... new tool!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
if you cut off the rolled lip would it slide on? or is the lip on the outside?:dontknow:

Nope. I took the measurements a minute ago to see. The lip isn't the problem ... the real probably is that they probably sell another piece for this and I didn't order it! :slap:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would NOT slice the cyclone. Something will change one way or another and you will regret it. Been there done that in a different scenario.....

You can also go to the Borg, by a section of their 8" snap lock pipe, cut say an 8" piece, put it together, and let it act as a sleeve on the inside of your Nordfab and your cyclone screwing it with sheet metal screws.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Is there a flange or lip on the inlet?

Here is what I did to connect the 8" circular outlet of my cyclone to the 8" circular inlet of my filter stack- I got a busted old truck tire tube (seems they are the only tires that use tubes anymore) for free from a local tire shop. I cut an 8" long piece and attached it like a Fernco plumbing fitting to both pipes using pipe strap clamps. The diameter of the tube was just slightly smaller than the DC fittings so it slipped on easily with just a little stretching.

Many benefits- cheap, easy, pipes don't need to meet or align perfectly, pipes don't even need to be the same size, seals perfectly with no tape, it stops vibration noise from going from section to section, easy to put on and take off. Just an all-around great solution, if you ask me. I may do that to my DC inlet also.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
piece of aluminum flashing????

Not sure I understand all of the lip and connection issues, but most connections like this that I have seen just used some aluminum flashing, about 12" wide, sold in rolls at the box stores, cut and rolled to the size need, then riveted. It can even be riveted after allowed to expand inside the two joining pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS