Cutting Plywood Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
As some of you know I am preparing for my first project.

Since I have started reading these forums, I have gained a new respect for doing things "right". Before I started reading these forums, I would have thrown the plywood on top of a couple of sawhorses and started sawing with a jigsaw until the whole thing started binding on the saw and I started saying things that can't be repeated. I was hoping someone could explain the correct setup.

thanks,
Will

cskipper

Cathy
Make a copy of your pattern and use spray adhesive to attach it to the wood or trace it onto the wood (preserving the original). I've never cut anything that large, but I would think you could use a jigsaw. Keep the wood flat and as supported as possible. I don't suppose that's much help, is it?

nelsone

New User
Ed
You pretty much have the idea! Have a couple extra horses to support both the pattern and the waste. When using your jigsaw, try not to push the saw to the side. You'll get an angled cut. Don't force the saw either, just let the saw cut.

Take it slow and easy and you'll do fine! Remember there's no need to rush, Christmas is a long way off!:lol:

Oh yea, try not to cut right on the line. If you can (and this can be challenging) cut on the outside of the line with the edge of the blade splitting the line. You can use a file or sander to clean up the cut.

mcoston2

New User
michael
I have in the past taken a skill saw and trimed off alot of extra wood to help with using the jig saw. Hope thats useful.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
When I am cutting plywood I put 2-3 scrap 8' 2X4's (I keep 4 for this purpose) on the sawhorses and put the plywood on the 2X4's. That way the plywood is completely supported. My shop is so small whenever I have to cut plywood sheets down to manageable sizes before taking them inside so I do this a lot.

Hope this helps.

novice99

New User
Mike
for detailed jigsawing like that, get some of the blue foam they use for insulation and lay it down on the floor or bench, then lay your plywood on top of that. If you have enough foam underneath your plywood, you can saw without hitting anything. The foam will support the wood as you make your cuts with no binding.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS