Custom Knife Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi everyone
As some of you may know I got a sizable commission for producing some custom knife blocks for a client that will give them as Christmas gifts to their best customers.
When I had originally talked with the client they had wanted to order as many as 40 of these blocks but after discussing their budget we settled on doing 25 which considering the deadline for delivery didn’t hurt my feelings. The blocks are made from Walnut, Maple and Cherry and the style was something that the client had suggested but left it up to me to do the final design . I was given the specs of the knife sizes and dimensions and built a prototype block.

knifeblockfinished001.jpg

In order to keep all of the components consistent I had to make several jigs to help me in this process as you will soon see in action. I have gathered up all of my rough sawn lumber and have made all of the final modifications as per the client. Let the fun begin.

The sides of the knife blocks consist of 5 pieces of bookmatched walnut, maple and cherry 3/8” thick and 13 1/2” long which was determined by the length of the longest knife blade .I sized the 4/4” rough lumber to pieces that are 5 1/4” wide x 15” long and jointed one edge and one face and set the bandsaw up for resawing.

knifeblockblog016.jpg

Once all of the resawing is done,a few trips through the planer gets everything to 3/8.” Both block sides consists of 2 walnut, 2 maple and 1 cherry so I ran them through the planer in groups to assure that everything is the same thickness which will help out during the glue-ups.The most important part of any glue up is making sure that all edges are 90 degrees and straight so another trip through the jointer.

In order to get all of the side components exactly the same size I made a sled for the bandsaw that holds each piece to get the 9 degree cut that I need, allowing 1/16" for jointing to the exact size

knifeblockblog001-1.jpg

I get 2 pieces from 1 blank.

knifeblockblog005.jpg

knifeblockblog006.jpg

After all of the 9 degree cuts are made, another trip through the jointer cleans up the edge. It is a little hard to hold the tapered piece on the jointer so I made a jig that has 3 sharp brads that bite into the blank which allows me to push it through the jointer with no problem.

knifeblockblog007.jpg

knifeblockblog008-1.jpg

It is critical that all of the side pieces are exactly the same width on the top dimension which is cut at a 9 degree angle so another jig is made for the miter saw that measures the exact length when the pieces are loaded on the saw .

knifeblockblog009.jpg

Cuts are made in pairs

knifeblockblog012.jpg

Here are the 10 side pieces for one knife block.

knifeblockblog013.jpg

All 250 pieces ready for glue-up

knifeblockblog018.jpg

Next session will begin the glue-ups for the sides of the custom knife blocks--stay tuned.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike thanks for sharing the step by step. Might be something I can attempt when i find the time.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Very nice. I love the way the contrasting colors of the woods work together. I'm getting ready to work on a box using the same woods and your image shows me how nice they look together.

Can you tell me what finish you used?

Thanks,
NCGrimbo

koslonc

New User
Jeff
Awesome work! :icon_thum. These look amazing. Kudos for taking the time to takes pictures along the way so you can explain the techniques.

I'm staying tuned for more...

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks guys
To NCGrimbo-- I used 4 coats of wipe-on satin poly for the finish with a light sanding between coats using 400 grit sandpaper. Final coat gets polished with 4/0 steel wool then a coat of furniture polish is applied to make the finish slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors