Custom Knife Blocks--Part 4--Lots of Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
The fronts of each block consists of 5 pieces of 3/4”stock cut to precisely the same size and all cut at a 9 degree angle on each end. Each of these sections have different slots for different size blades so a set of templates were made to use for consistency and to speed up the process.

knifeblockblog046.jpg

Simply a matter of tracing the slots onto the blanks. I used a piece of sticky back label paper on the walnut blanks but traced straight onto the maple and cherry

knifeblockblog047.jpg

knifeblockblog048.jpg

In order to cut the slots on the scrollsaw a 1/16 ” pilot hole is drilled in each location.

knifeblockblog050.jpg

After all of the holes are drilled for one full set, it’s over to the scroll saw to begin the fun. I used a # 5 skip tooth blade which works good on thicker stock. I soon found out that a sequence was needed for cutting to prevent burning the cherry and maple. I could cut all of the slots for one block with one blade if I cut the maple first then the cherry and finally the walnut. Take your time and stay on the line.

knifeblockblog057.jpg

It wasn’t worth trying to get more cuts from a blade in this 3/4” stock. Blades are cheap.

knifeblockblog059.jpg

After 3 days and 25 blades I got all 350 slots done.Now THAT was fun stuff.

Next session will be more glue -ups—-stay tuned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS