Crosscut Sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrytis

New User
Eric
I finally finished my new crosscut sled to replace my old one that didn't fit my new saw i got this summer. There were two features i really wanted after my experience with the first - hold downs for the piece being cut since it was awkward trying to hold down the piece on both sides while pushing the sled, and a stop since it was inconvenient to find a scrap of wood and a clamp all the time. While i was making a new one, i figured i would also add replaceable throat plates so i can cut bevels and dadoes, and add an extendable fence for longer boards. There is nothing original about it, but it should make a very useful sled.

The sled is 24" x 36". I can crosscut 21" wide boards on it, and i can remove the front fence to cut wider if necessary. With the fence extended all the way, i can have the stop out at 40". The fence is bolted down and can be realigned if necessary. It is currently accurate to about 0.001" over 12".

It took me a couple of months to build (i work at a very slow pace with little shop time), but it'll quickly pay back that time and more. There are some cosmetic goofs, but functionally it works very well and i'm very happy to have a sled again!

Sully

New User
jay
Nice looking sled. Further motivation for me to get off my duff and make one too. I hope mine turns out half as nice as what you came up with.

How did you align the runners?

MikeH

New User
Mike
Great looking sled Eric! I need to build one for my saw. Do you find that the plastic above the saw gets in the way when you are moving wood on and off the sled?

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great job on the sled. I really need to make a new/better one. The hold downs is a great idea.

thrytis

New User
Eric
How did you align the runners?

I waxed the table, put a spacer in the bottom of the miter slots (enough for the runners to stick up above the table slightly), put the runners in the miter slots, ran a bead of glue down the runners, and clamped the sled to the table. I used my rip fence against the edge of the sled to keep everything square, but since the sled fence is added later it doesn't have to be precise.

Do you find that the plastic above the saw gets in the way when you are moving wood on and off the sled?

I really haven't found the guard to get in the way. I had just a flat piece of plastic for the last sled and it never bothered me. I put sides on this one so it wouldn't droop. It comes down a little lower so i'll have to see if it is a problem, but i don't think so. I feel more comfortable having something over the blade and to deflects the saw dust. This one pops off easy if i do want to move it for a few cuts.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nice looking sled Eric:eusa_clap. I am another one who has to get off his butt and make one. One day soon, hopefully, I will start making one.

Jimmy:)

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Very nice job! Looks great and sounds like it is very accurate. Is there a plan for this out there somewhere?

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice sled. I have not heard of raising up your runners, gluing and clamping them right on the saw. Did you add some weight to your sled to get some pressure in the middle? Replaceable throat is also a real nice feature. :eusa_clap

thrytis

New User
Eric
I used a couple of cauls to distribute the pressure across the sled when gluing the runners on.

I looked at various plans out there when designing mine, but i didn't base it on any one plan. I took ideas from different plans and spent some time looking at other people's sleds that had been posted on woodnet, then winged the rest. The biggest challenge for me was calculating the full range of where the blade can cut with the blade tilted or with a dado blade so i could make the throat plates large enough and not hit a screw. I used brass hardware anywhere near the blade just in case. :eusa_pray The rest was very straight forward.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is nothing less than sweet!!

All the T track and accessories you have will definitely make it a joy to use.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Eric I've been away for a while so am just now seeing this. Great design the hold downs are a nice feature.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Super Sled. I started to re-do the one that came with my saw this morning and then kid activities took me away from the shop. Glad I never started as I see a number of idea's I'd like to steal from your design. Timing is everything . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS