Crepe Myrtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I hauled this chunk back from a jobsite today in the seat of my rollback (no way to secure it to the bed). My guess is Crepe Myrtle but I have never saw one this large (12+" diameter). Anyone ever turn what ever it is?
Unknown_Wood1.jpg

View image in gallery

Thanks
Mike
Oh, and I will get Anchor Seal on it tonight.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
No matter what the wood, those octopus crotches always befuddle me - what is the best way to orient a blank? There is pith everywhere!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
If you think of that first picture as a "hand," you might be able to get one out of the "palm." :eusa_thin

Dragon

New User
David
Definitely looks like Sycamore to me too. It's some beautiful wood from what I've seen so far. I've got one log of Sycamore but have my "feelers" out to grab a few more.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Hi All,
Yep, after looking at pics of sycamore, I agree. The mottled bark (pic 2) also looks just like Crepe Myrtle when it sheds.
If anyone is in Charlotte, roughly the intersection on Monroe Rd & Wendover, I can give them directions. There are at least two of the trunk section about 2-3 ft long as well as other pieces (everything that would not go through a chipper?)
There is also a stack of oak starting about 2’ diameter at the base and 2-3 ft long. It appears they went back and sliced off both at ground level so there should be lots of grain in the bottom section.
It is at an upfit job site so the area is fully paved.
If interested call me at 704-455-4675 and I will give you job site contact info and directions into the site. (I just don’t want the contractor being interrupted taking calls)
I won’t have time to go back myself but I wish I could.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS