Craftsman Drill Batteries Dead...Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The batteries on my 19.2 V Craftsman drill have rapidly approached dead. The hold a charge for minutes at best.

Today while in Lowes I looked at the cordless drill offerings. The Dewalt looked nice but was pretty pricey.

I went by Sears to see if they had replacement batteries...of course not. While I looked at the Sears offerings a salesgirl saw I was looking at cordless drills and asked if I needed any help. Told her my batteries were dead and I was looking for a new drill/replacement batteries.

She told me they had a few on the specials table. Turns out they had a Makita 18 volt kit (6346DWDE) on closeout. Normal price 230, 1/2 price. I snapped it up. I'm hoping it's a decent deal because it was an impulse buy.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• makitaDrill 002.jpg
    makitaDrill 002.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 237
M

McRabbet

Chuck,

For $115, you got a pretty good deal -- by comparison, though, here is what I got about a week ago from Amazon.com. It is a 14.4 Volt cordless kit that includes a compact Impact Driver with an LED spotlight (points at the tip), a solid VS 1/2" Drill, a fluorescent light, two 2.6 AmpHour NiMh batteries and the charger -- for just under $194 including shipping! What a deal and a potent set! The impact driver (upside down in the picture) puts out over 80 foot-pounds of torque!
Makita14.4VImpactDriverSet.JPG

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Chuck,

We have a member that rebuilds batteries. Junkman. Here is a thread where he mentions his little side business, rebuilding rechargeable batteries.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/off.topic/who.we/2371-hello.unicoi.country.tn.html

Just thought if you wanted to check out the cost of reviving the old Craftsman battery, you want to PM him.

Really nice score on that Makita 18V, though. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time!!:eusa_danc

Wayne

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Grizzly has a pretty good deal on cordless drills. They are not impact, but the certaily do hold up well.
Jim in Mayberry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
McRabbet said:
Chuck,

For $115, you got a pretty good deal -- by comparison, though, here is what I got about a week ago from Amazon.com. It is a 14.4 Volt cordless kit that includes a compact Impact Driver with an LED spotlight (points at the tip), a solid VS 1/2" Drill, a fluorescent light, two 2.6 AmpHour NiMh batteries and the charger -- for just under $194 including shipping! What a deal and a potent set! The impact driver (upside down in the picture) puts out over 80 foot-pounds of torque!
Makita14.4VImpactDriverSet.JPG

Rob

I had read the thread where a few of the folks were buying that kit. That is a sweet deal for sure! I don't know what got into me...I only needed a drill so I bought a drill..what is happening to me? Oh, yeah, I remember now...the CFO said straight replacement of the drill...still, I got a Makita 18V to replace the old Craftsman. Not too shabby.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Canuck said:
Chuck,

We have a member that rebuilds batteries. Junkman. Here is a thread where he mentions his little side business, rebuilding rechargeable batteries.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/off.topic/who.we/2371-hello.unicoi.country.tn.html

Just thought if you wanted to check out the cost of reviving the old Craftsman battery, you want to PM him.

Really nice score on that Makita 18V, though. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time!!:eusa_danc

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. I sent Junkman a PM. That old Craftsman has always worked fine. If the repair price is reasonable I'll take the Makita back...or sell the Craftsman.:eusa_thin

Chuck

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I don't know how good these are, but Sam's Club in Anderson, SC. has Hitachi 19.4V battery drills with 2 battery's and charger for sale for $39.00. I'm sure they should have them at other Sam's.

R

rickc

I actually have an old 9.6 v Craftsman Drill. (Considerable sentimental reasons for keeping it.) By going to the Craftsman website, I can provide the model number and/or part number to find the replacements for it. Probably can do the same for yours. They will deliver to your house, or might actually have them at the service center in Raleigh. Doubtful any retail store will have it. Be prepared, if your batteries are like mine, I can go to HF and get a complete drill and new battery for the cost of the Sears battery. But like I said - sentimental reasons keep me going back. Now that I know of the member who rebuilds batteries, I may try him next time.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
D L Ames said:
Chuck, check this listing of Batteries Plus stores to see if there is one in your area. They can rebuild your battery packs also.

D L
DL, I have a 9.6v Craftsman that I needed batteris for. Went by Batteries Plus in Raleigh and they said they can't sell replacements or rebuild because of licensing agreements with Sears. Go figure! Have you found other Batteries Plus stores that WOULD rebuild Craftsman??? Just checking....
Thanks,

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
PappyJ said:
DL, I have a 9.6v Craftsman that I needed batteris for. Went by Batteries Plus in Raleigh and they said they can't sell replacements or rebuild because of licensing agreements with Sears. Go figure! Have you found other Batteries Plus stores that WOULD rebuild Craftsman??? Just checking....
Thanks,

To be honest Randy I have never tried to have one rebuilt there. As I was passing their store last week I noticed their sign that stated they rebuild battery packs. I can call the store here in Fayetteville and ask them if they rebuild Craftsman battery packs if you want me to. I have a couple of Makita 9.6v packs that I might ask about having rebuilt.

D L

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
DL, thanks for your reply. Don't go out of your way but, if you don't mind, just ask if they do rebuild Craftsman. As I said, the Raleigh guys say they can't for legal reasons.
Thanks again,

William Bender

New User
William Bender
Has anyone suggested the Dewalt repair shop on Capital, they have walls of replacement batteries for all sorts of brands.

William

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS