Couple more cutting blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Finished putting the finish on a couple more cutting blocks. I got myself in the dog house when my son and I put together to cutting board for his girl friend last week, not taking care of the wife first. I worked on cutting parts for a couple more cutting boards with the increasing width strips and decided to take the leftovers and make a checker board design. Glad to say I am back in my wife's good graces, at least for the time being. Still have one more board to glue up and finish. Here are a couple of pics.

101_1631.jpg

101_1630.jpg

101_1628.jpg

Duane

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
The striped board is ~ 15 1/2" x 13". The checker board is ~13 1/2 square. Both are just over 1 3/4" thick. Yes, they are hard maple and walnut.

Duane

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really like the stripe pattern. I've been working on finishing up a few more of them myself. But I got the order correct. Wife first, gifts second. Thanks for sharing.

- Ken.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very striking work there!

I am partial to the unique stiped one. A nice design. :icon_thum

Wayne

awldune

Sam
User
On the checkerboard one, do you have some sort of dowels or dovetails joining the blocks in the grain direction? Or is it a simple glue-up?

dozer

Mike
Duane, Both of them turned out great I do favor the one with the stripes though. Really nice job.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Awesome work, beautiful! ..I am planning on making a couple like the stiped one, any advise, tips, for someone who has never made one of these?
Thanks!
Tony.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job Duane. So when you plan on hosting a workshop to show us all how you did the striped one?

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Without an Incra fence, I think it would be difficult to cut the parts of increasing widths. Because the parts are so narrow, you have to cut them on the side outboard of the fence so each movement you have to move the fence one blade width plus the size of your part. I would be glad to show anyone how it is done, just PM me.

I completed another one last night. A big shoutout to Chris_goris for the use of his Jet 22-44. This board wasn't that far out of level but I wanted to see how those drum sanders worked. I am sold on them. They may only take a small amount off with each pass but a little time and patience and you end up with nice flat smooth edges. Guess I'll have to keep a watch on CL for a 16-32 or a 22-44. If only I could have a small hit on the lottery, Woodcraft has 15% off Jet tools.

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors