Correct term for this cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
When I hear the term "slab" used in regard to wood, I picture a section of trunk of whatever length, that has been sawn to whatever thickness and the wane and ends are often left however they happen to be.

Like this:

slab.jpg

However, is 'slab" also a correct term for a cross-cut section of trunk, like in this picture?

round.jpg

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
A cookie :-D

At least I think if I went to a sawyer and said "I'd like a cookie from an oak tree" they'd understand what I was saying.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
In the literal sense, I think a slab is a thick full slice or at least a large slice if it isn't practical for it to be full, like in your first picture or a slab of marble or whatever. Specific to wood, when someone says slab I do think of something like the first picture but I just think that's because it is more common and useful to cut that way, not because the other cut isn't a slab.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
From my previous life (biologist), the scientific terms are (for the top one) "longitudinal section" and (for the bottom one) "transverse" or "cross section". I think everyone knows "cross section." Not sure if someone would look at you funny if you mention longitudinal section though. ;)

For slab, I think of the top one. Wonder if sawyers use particular terms though.

Dragon

New User
David
Don't know what the "proper" term is but us rednecks call 'em both slabs. I've got several of both and "my" definition of slab is; A big slice of wood, over 2" thick, more than 12" wide, either longitudinal or cross section cut. A 2X8X10 does not constitute a "slab" however. That's dimensional lumber. Ya'll sufficiently confused now?
:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS