Cope & Stick - 1ST Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. That wasn't too hard at all!!!!!!!

Got all of the panels (4) raised in about an hour today. I set up the router to spin the 3 1/4" PR bit at about 12000 RPM and took about 4 light passes at each door starting with the end grain. Didn't get too much fuzz nor burning at all!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap As a matter of fact, I shouldn't need to do too much sanding at all!

DSC003821.JPG

One final question. I have heard of using "Space Balls" to stop the panels from rattling in the stiles and rails. As I don't have immediate access to them, can I use some of that foam weatherstripping instead? I have some that is about 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick. Why couldn't I just trim some down and poke into the rails and stiles and drop in the panel?

Also. Should I put the finish on the panels before I glue up? Thinking that if the panels move, it will show raw wood if they shrink.

Thanks all for all of the great advice! Can't wait to try out raised panels on something other than painted bathroom cabinets!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, you can take some silicon caulking and lay out a 1/4-3/16" bead on waxed paper, let it dry and then cut it into smaller sections and they will serve the same purpose as the space balls (but without the cool name :-D) Ideally you should finish the panels before assembly for the exact reasons you mentioned.
Great job on the frames and the panels. You are giving us RP virgins great incentive to give it a try :icon_thum

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Wayne,

In place of Space Balls, I've used 1/4" thick disks of 1/2" foam "backer rod" found at Lowe's in the weatherstripping area. It is normally used to fill in larger gaps before caulking and it is cheap; I cut off disks from the foam and stuff them into the slot before glue-up, using then about every 4-5". They help keep the panel centered and floating.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Wayne, I have some space balls I could either drop off tomorrow or you could pick them up from my work just down the street from you. That's if you want them.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors