Cope & Stick - 1ST Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
LOML asked me if I could replace some '70's cabinet doors in the bathroom's with some raised panel doors. Never attempted it so all I need is a couple of new tools.............:lol::lol:

Ordered the Cabinet set from MLCS and a coping sled from our friends at Rockler.Com..........

[URL="http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=15477"][/URL]
Coping_sled.JPG

Using our great search engine, I stumbled upon Rob's (McRabbet) Raised Panel Calculator. Plugged in a couple of dimensions and I had a detailed cut list! (Didn't have to pull out my 7th grade math book or dust off the old calculator or slide rule!!!!)

..............and wallah!!! Completed the four frames in about two hours this afternoon!

Now......On to the glue-ups for the panels and I am just about there! Sure do love these excuses for new additions to the shop tools!!!!!

Check out the calculator. It works great!!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks Rob!!!

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
M

McRabbet

Hey Wayne,

Nice job on the door frames and I'm glad you found the Raised Panel Calculator in our Download Library. I've included the link here so others don't need to go through the search process! Guess you may have noticed -- I fixed your picture links...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, what's your thoughts on the MLCS bit set??? It looks like it has everything that you could need/want. What size router did you use?
Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wayne - the frames look nice and tight. :icon_thum

I can't believe you managed to get approval for the cabinetmaker's set AND a coping sled to make those doors. Now, that's a gloat!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice looking frames! Nothing like having the LOML suggest you need new tools! GOOD LUCK with the panels Looks like you"ve got it going your way

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Very nice job, Wayne. Can't wait to see the finished product. Major suckiness to you for more than one gloat at the same time.

tv

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne, what's your thoughts on the MLCS bit set??? It looks like it has everything that you could need/want. What size router did you use?

I think that the MLCS was good value. Paid $115.00, plus free shipping. I was a little skeptical running the rail and stile bits with my little Dewalt 618 (2 1/4HP) at first. Just slowed it down to about 12000RPM and made the stile cuts in two passes. The copes were easier with one pass. My next challenge will be trying to whirl that panel raiser (with back cutter) with the same router. (Still have to work on the LOML for a bigger router, but didn't want to push my luck!:lol:) I am also intending on replacing the drawers as well, so the drawer lock bit should work well.

MLCS are good folks and their bits seem to be of good quality for us hobbyist's.

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hey Wayne,

Nice job on the door frames and I'm glad you found the Raised Panel Calculator in our Download Library. I've included the link here so others don't need to go through the search process! Guess you may have noticed -- I fixed your picture links...

Thanks for fixing the links, Rob. Struggled with them for about 45 minutes and gave up. (It seems that the new photoshop software has changed and I just wasn't gettin' it!)

Thanks Again for the Calculator! Great Stuff!:eusa_clap

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Wayne, you're running the same router that I do. It's nice to see the little guys pull their weight. :icon_thum I am very interested in your review of the panel raising bit in the DW 618. $115 for 6 good size bits isn't a bad deal. I might have to change my opinion of RP doors.

M

McRabbet

Regarding the photo, just cut and paste the complete URL that appears in the box below the expanded photo in your gallery. If you preview, you'll see the thumbnal; the link exposes the full sized picture in a new window.

Just read your other post about getting ready to raise your panels -- I'd suggest slowing the bit rotation to about 10,000 rpm and making at least three passes. Remember to keep the wood moving to avoid burning. If it does burn, take a smaller bite. I usually take three passes with my panel raising bits (equipped with a back-cutter, too) using my Milwaukee 5625 VS router (3-1/2 Hippity-Hops), so you'll want to be more conservative.

BTW, I have several MLCS bits and their coping sled -- I think they are a good value.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Wayne, what's your thoughts on the MLCS bit set???

I'm not Wayne, but I had a RP set from MLCS, used it once to make raised panel wainscoting up my staircase. I think there were about 10 panels in all, and towards the end of the task, the PR bit was making extremely shaggy cuts. Granted, these were 36° parallelogram panels, so the top/bottom cuts were biased to the grain.

The cope and stick bits held up well. For the PR bit, yes, I took my time and made three light passes and one final burnishing pass. Still shaggy. I sent them back, and laid out the bucks for a Freud set. Gator's had them a while, and if he likes them as well as I do, you can draw your own conclusion.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks good! I have done them for awhile, and it is amazing how tight the joints can fit and easy it is to do once you get the hang of it.

M

McRabbet

I've found the secret to tight joints is to mill all of the fame pieces in one session (the planing and jointing) and to use setup blocks for your R & S bits.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I've found the secret to tight joints is to mill all of the fame pieces in one session (the planing and jointing) and to use setup blocks for your R & S bits.

That's exactly how I did it Rob. I did get a setup block with the set that made it a little quicker getting started. I did run all of the sticks first. Getting the cope setup just right took a couple of test runs because of the added height of the sled base. Two test passes with a very slight adjust in the bit height and I got it!

Thanks for all of the input!

(Oh ya. I planed and jointed all of my panel pieces today and they are ready for glueup. Hope to break out the PR bit on the weekend.)

Wayne

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Dumb question of the day.

What is the difference between cope & stick and rails & stiles?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
cope and stick
rails and stiles

What I have been doing all along, just did not know it. Must be smarter than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors