Concave/convex shell carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well I could put this in the carving section but it doesn't look like the carvers are doing much with this area of interest. Looking thru the carving forum I found a shell demonstration back in 2009.

My interest in the large concave/convex shell is a starting point for my goal of building a fairly complex Goddard/Townsend desk down the road. The desk features large shells(concave and convex shells) on the desk lid and the same pattern on the first desk drawer.

With a plaster example in hand as an example to copy, I thought I could cheat a little and use the carving tools I had on hand and make it happen. Not so. Without the proper sweeps and sizes, its very tough to get in the important spaces that create the shadows and lines. Even so, I learned a great deal just going thru the lay out, cutting the blank, fixing it to a base and beginning to establish the shell.

Mistakes are discouraging but I decided to forge ahead no matter how ugly one section became in order to correct errors the next time. Its a steep learning curve but its well worth the time. I would like to attend a class with Mary Maye down in Charleston or with Allan Breed up in Maine. Both of these carvers are very talented and they have spent time in the instructor role. Some day.

Here is round #1. Lots of mistakes but you can get an idea of where I am going with this journey.

More info as I make progress. No completion date or schedule so it will be slow going. I hope to find some carving tools in the 3 sweep sizes to make the project easier. Last time I checked, the Swiss made stuff was pricey.

later
dan

shell_2.JPG

View image in gallery

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It looks pretty good to me also. :icon_thum

More info as I make progress. No completion date or schedule so it will be slow going. I hope to find some carving tools in the 3 sweep sizes to make the project easier. Last time I checked, the Swiss made stuff was pricey.

Is that mallet work or are you pushing by hand? The reason I ask is that these Denny tools, even though they are classified as "palm" tools, are sort of an in between size. They are bigger than most palm tools and have the larger knife style handles instead of the palm bulbs. And there is a range of #3 sweeps at under $25 each. My info is second hand - I don't own any of them - but they do seem pretty highly regarded. If you are going to pound them, though, I would probably look at Pfeil, Stubai or Sorby (and I do own at least a couple of each; that's not second hand).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS