Completed project..Jack's Crib

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
A spot for baby Jack.

This project took way too much time, from the I-think-I'll-try-inlay-for-the-first time to a way overcomplicated finishing schedule.

Cherry with holly and ziricote inlays. All the material is/was shop cut from rough stock.

Finished with selective staining, tung oil, shellac and 6 coats of NC lacquer.

The color in the photos is a little uneven due to my poor photography skills :)

Crib_640_by_480.jpg

Close-up of the front leg:
Upper_leg_detail_640_by_480.jpg

Close-up of the lower leg and side rail:
Lower_leg_and_stretcher_detail_640x480.jpg

Happy New Year everyone !

-Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang Mark that's AWESOME. The overall crib is great but the inlays and double top rail on the back really set it off. You did a great job :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
WOW, that is definetly a heirloom quality masterpiece. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

But why all the beautiful work if you are going to make him sleep on the floor anyway. :rolf:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This will probably be an heirloom piece. Here's to hoping it stays this clean. My 2 kids kept their crib tinted with an 'organic' stain. Hope it washes up easy! I'd be far too worried about the crib to have put one of them in a piece like that. :eusa_clap

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mark,

That crib only took too long if baby Jack is no longer a baby:lol:. Otherwise it's on time. The crib and inlays came out beautiful.

Jimmy:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Beautiful work, Mark. That should do nicely for the grand kids also! Can't imagine the hours you must have in that piece.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Beautiful work ... WOW! The design is really nice.

PS - Don't show it to friends, or you'll be making more! :drunken_s

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
that looks AWESOME! I have to be sure my wife doesn't see this thread, or she'll wonder why the one I made doesn't have all of the nice extras yours does! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow, that's a beauty! Great design and the finish looks smooth as glass. I'm sure Jack will enjoy it as much as we do :icon_thum

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That's definitely not your run of the mill crib design or execution. I like the curves and "slats" and the inlays are a thoughtful touch.

Very pretty work! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That is a super good job----------very well done. The quality of workmanship really shows up in that project. I think we all tend to under estimate the time it takes to do something like that. Whatever time you had in it is justified by the end result.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS