Completed project - Dining table

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Better late than never! The table was delivered the weekend before Thanksgiving, but the clients glass supplier let them down badly with the glass and that finally arrived the Friday before Xmas, so a second installation was done and then we had Xmas dinner on it! I must say I am VERY pleased with the way it turned out; mixing old and new styles and adding a bit of eastern culture to the mix was a gamble to say the lease, but the whole design gelled really well and the table fits right in with the surrounding more traditional furniture and the Shoji stops the glass top making everything look like it's in a gold fish bowl!

Never before has so much joinery been exposed to the public for scrutiny! I must have been mad!

The original thread is here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8839

Lots more pics in the gallery here. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=712

But here are a sample:

Thanks for looking.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks super! Can't play footsies with the missus under this one though! :eusa_danc

DavidF

New User
David
Great work David. Is that your design?

Yes it is. Started with the client saying "I'd like a glass topped table that sits 8 - the rest was mine. The client was thrilled the way it came out and that makes it all worth the trouble it caused - and boy did it cause trouble...

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wonderful David! Lots of style and craftsmanship . . . just what we've come to expect from you :icon_thum

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Wonderful David! Lots of style and craftsmanship . . . just what we've come to expect from you :icon_thum

Roger

Thanks Roger, not very good pics unfortunately and just too late for the calendar! 150 shop hours over 9 calendar months!

Nativespec

New User
David
I like the design. We have a glass dining table and the idea was to make the room look bigger?-that's what my wife says. I like it because you can see who is feeding the dog.

Nice work.

David

DavidF

New User
David
I like the design. We have a glass dining table and the idea was to make the room look bigger?-that's what my wife says. I like it because you can see who is feeding the dog.

Nice work.

David

I never thought of that..:lol: good point..

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Never before has so much joinery been exposed to the public for scrutiny! I must have been mad!
Don't worry Dave. The scrutiny on the joints will be much less once you've put a good coat of paint on the frame. I think it will look really nice when it's finished. You going with a traditional black enamel, or do something fancy with green acrylic?

(duck!)

M

McRabbet

David,

A superb job as expected -- your design and craftsmanship have come together in a marvelous heirloom product for your clients. Glad I could see some of it in progress! And the finish looks really nice -- assume you used the GF Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal as we discussed in earlier thread... Its natural look really looks great.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
David who? Dining room table? I remember something about a table around a year ago. I think someone even came over and cut some wood for one, but that was a long time ago.

It does look good, and I agree, you must have been mad to do so much exposed joinery! Makes my head hurt to think about all that joinery.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
David,

Simply "Outstanding".:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dan C

DavidF

New User
David
Don't worry Dave. The scrutiny on the joints will be much less once you've put a good coat of paint on the frame. I think it will look really nice when it's finished. You going with a traditional black enamel, or do something fancy with green acrylic?

(duck!)

I was thinking Milk Paint to keep with the period look......

DavidF

New User
David
David,

A superb job as expected -- your design and craftsmanship have come together in a marvelous heirloom product for your clients. Glad I could see some of it in progress! And the finish looks really nice -- assume you used the GF Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal as we discussed in earlier thread... Its natural look really looks great.

Yes it was one coat Seal-a-cell and 3 coats Arm-r-seal in Semi gloss, which wasn't my first choice, I would have liked Satin, but the client is happy with it and that's what counts!

Thanks so much for the kind words.

DavidF

New User
David
David who? Dining room table? I remember something about a table around a year ago. I think someone even came over and cut some wood for one, but that was a long time ago.

It does look good, and I agree, you must have been mad to do so much exposed joinery! Makes my head hurt to think about all that joinery.

Hey! a year ago??? according to my perfectly maintained time sheet:eusa_liar the first rough milling was May 6th 07 - for me that's almost DaveO speed.... Delivered a week ahead of schedule no less...:lol: Thanks for your help at the beginning with the initial roughing, couldn't have done it without you.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent woth there, David!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I would be very curious as to its approximate weight? It sure doesn't look like it will walk away to easily!

Thanks for sharing the final product pictures!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS