Clear Vue Cyclones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
A good friend of mine just purchased the "Clear Vue Cyclone" for his hobby shop. He swears by it, and I've never heard of it.

Are you familiar with the brand? What are your thoughts?

My shop so badly needs good dust collection!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
reasonably popular, not only do they make a good DC, run some poplar through the planer, and literally watch the chips fly!

M

McRabbet

Clearvue cyclones are the only dust collection cyclone systems on the market that use Bill Pentz' design and are very, very efficient. Go to www.clearvuecyclones.com and watch the videos! At about $1,200 with 0.5 micron filters and incredible performance curves, these are the prime choice for serious dust collection for those that want to stay healthy. For more info, see www.billpentz.com. I suspect I will be adding one to my shop later this year if I can get it approved by the Chancellor(ess) of the Exchequer!

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
It has been about two years since I installed a ClearVue Cyclone in my shop. Did a lot of research before buying a system and with the help of all the info on Bill Pentz's site; I decided that was the way to go. I now know without any doubt that I made the right descision. My shop stays dustless regardless of which machines I am using even with more than one blast gate open at a time. As mentioned, the total cost of the entire system including the filters was about 1200.00 That is for 5 horse power and a system that is more efficient than any other on the market. I cannot say enough good about it. If any of you are ever in Myrtle Beach and would like to come buy and see the installation, you are more that welcome.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
A couple of not so great pictures. One of the ClearVue Cyclone and another of the ducting going through the wall where it attaches to the cyclone.

Attachments

• lawyers file 019.jpg
    lawyers file 019.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 220

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Don't know too much about that particular brand but a cyclone system is a cyclone system, the principle is all the same. But it is cool to see it all happen :icon_thum
Ah Dave, I'm so disappointed:crybaby2: Your wrong:eusa_naug :eusa_naug
:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
:lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, educate me. How in principle does the Clear Vue cyclone operate differently than any other cyclone system. :5dunce: :icon_scra :icon_scra :icon_scra

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Dave,

The Bill Pentz design uses several elements that make it very efficient: 1) High CFM fan located downstream of cyclone (suction side, which reduced inlet turbulence); 2) Large diameter inclined inlet to cyclone with a spiraled ramp to control the inlet air flow around the cylindrical upper section of the cyclone; 3) an empirically derived 1:1.64 cone diameter:height ration for efficient separation; 4) air-tight collection bin; 5) large material handling style fan impeller; 6) Full 5 HP motor to produce an 1,800 CFM (free flow) unit; 7) Provision for large square footage of 0.5 micron filters on outlet air. Go to the site at Clear Vue Cyclones for the full specs and drawings. I plan on buying one as soon as I draw my profits from my current commission work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree that it is probably the most efficient system around. Bill Pentz doesn't mess around when it comes to dust collection and control. But the physical scientific principle of the cyclonic action is just the same as any other system.
Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Dave:

That is like saying a Yugo and an Ferrari are the same since they both have internal combustion engines that work on the same principle. :lol:

Doug

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO, isn't the ClearVue argument about the execution of the principle rather than the fundamental fact of it? Any kind of turbulance affects the ability of the spinning air to centrifugally separate the particles. Without an inclined air inlet, air ramp, proper cyclone proportions, etc., the air flow has turbulance in which dust particles are not separated.

It's like saying IKEA and Stickley chairs are basically the same. :)

M

McRabbet

In looking back over this thread and reviewing some of the things that Bill Pentz has in his discussions, it appears to me that Dino needs to improve the intake side to his system by raising the inlet duct and eliminating the flex hose "S". There will be a considerable amount of turbulence caused in this configuration just before the inlet ramp -- ideally, one wants 6-10 diameters of straight 6-7" duct (36" to 70" typically) leading to the inlet ramp. Even with the current configuration Dino, you sound very satisfied with your ClearVue system.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
. . . it appears to me that Dino needs to improve the intake side to his system by raising the inlet duct and eliminating the flex hose "S".

I visited Dino and saw his system in action and I can't imagine how it could work any better. He ran a board through his bandsaw and nary a speck of dust escaped. And the rest of his shop is immaculate so it must be doing a good job.

I'm think about trying the mini shop vac setup. Has any one seen one of those in action?

pete

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks for all of the feedback ... sounds like the Clear Vue is the best by many accounts.

I'll have to look into this ...

So ... who's up to help run the ducts!

M

McRabbet

I visited Dino and saw his system in action and I can't imagine how it could work any better. He ran a board through his bandsaw and nary a speck of dust escaped. And the rest of his shop is immaculate so it must be doing a good job.

I'm think about trying the mini shop vac setup. Has any one seen one of those in action?

pete
They have a video of the small unit in operation on the website.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Rob - I checked out the website video. Think that might be my next purchase.

Jeremy - I'll lend a hand . . . but where are you going to put it ??? :eusa_thin
How about using clear duct work? that would be really cool !!!;-)

pete

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Deffinantly give me a shout if you need any help hanging duct work!! It'd be great practice for when I get my "real" shop!?!?!?!

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've been reading a lot on this Clear Vue system and the plethora of information available about dust collection. It's all intriguing.

Not sure I'm in the position to lay out $1,500 today, but seems like a worthwhile investment for any woodworker. I can certainly say that my shop's dust collection is insufficient ... and now I'm convinced even dangerous (stirring up too much dust and not catching the dust that is really dangerous).

If you haven't read this website, I'd highly recommend it to any woodworker ... novice or pro. We're all interested in a new tool, but safety -- and especially our health -- should be a top priority all of the time.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS