Cleaning up an old Disston D-8

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I just cleaned they plate... Covered the etch and let it sit..... Small sanding block with 2000 grit and gently removed it. Repeat of necessary but don't over-sand.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wet dry sand paper comes in higher grits such as 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. It's used in the automotive paint industry and furniture finishing as well. Klingspor carries it. I keep several sheets of this type of paper around just for when I want to sand something to a high polish with minimal material removable.

PappiJoe

New User
E
Wet dry sand paper comes in higher grits such as 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. It's used in the automotive paint industry and furniture finishing as well. Klingspor carries it. I keep several sheets of this type of paper around just for when I want to sand something to a high polish with minimal material removable.
I have some around, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a typo. Sounds like it was not.

PappiJoe

New User
E
@Chris C I used the Perma Blue procedure on the latest saw I restored, a Simonds No. 371. The Perma Blue definitely helped bring out the etching. Now you can see that the saw was made in Fitchburg Mass Chicago Ill. “This Saw is covered by the broadest Simonds guarantee”.
I will do the etching on the D-8 next!

PappiJoe

New User
E
Yep, and that Saw needs its back removed and reinstalled. I'd venture to say that this saw is not a canted saw. That's ok, it can be fixed and is one of the pieces of info I share in this up coming workshop.

Ok @Graywolf, I removed the back on the Disston backsaw and confirmed that it is 4" at the front & back. Then I reinstalled the back and located at an even distance from the saw teeth at the front and back. It seems that the back was misaligned for a while, you can still see the shadow of where the back was in the plate. Pics enclosed, BEFORE (small) and AFTER (Big).

Next step: sharpening...

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok @Graywolf, I removed the back on the Disston backsaw and confirmed that it is 4" at the front & back. Then I reinstalled the back and located at an even distance from the saw teeth at the front and back. It seems that the back was misaligned for a while, you can still see the shadow of where the back was in the plate. Pics enclosed, BEFORE (small) and AFTER (Big).

Next step: sharpening...

View attachment 189436

View attachment 189441
It looks much better now. I do have to ask how straight the tooth line is now. I hope it's straight.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS