Cleaning saw blades

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
What do you use?

Purchased this product years ago and works really well, but ultra corrosive.

This can will probably last forever though.

3F9CCB3F-8B61-499C-9078-C4E060A16093.jpeg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Purchased this product years ago and works really well, but ultra corrosive.

Why do you say that? (A chemist here). The ingredients on the safety data sheet should not be corrosive to your saw blades. Sodium hydroxide (<10%) and no acids in the product. The label says corrosive to skin (Drano is mostly sodium hydroxide).

I clean my saw blades with mineral spirits and a toothbrush which dissolves the gum and pitch. It's done in less than 1 hour.

Last edited:

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Why do you say that? (A chemist here). The ingredients on the safety data sheet should not be corrosive to your saw blades. Sodium hydroxide (<10%) and no acids in the product. The label says corrosive to skin (Drano is mostly sodium hydroxide).

I think you know more than I do. Just read the label with huge warning signs.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think you know more than I do. Just read the label with huge warning signs.

That's correct. You didn't say what it was corrosive too. Saw blades or skin? Nonetheless, getting some on your hands while you're wiping off the blades and rinsing them isn't going to cause your skin to blister and fall off-just rinse your hands well until they're no longer slippery from the sodium hydroxide.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
CMT Blade Cleaner used here. (Link)
Only need to use a small amount with each cleaning. Spray on, let it sit a few minutes, scrub with a toothbrush, wipe off.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I've been using Simple Green full strength. Using the lid of a 5 gallon plastic bucket, place the blade in it and cover with Simple Green. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes and then use a toothbrush to get the particles off that are a bit more difficult. I wash the blade off with water, dry it and then to be safe, use an old hair dryer to make certain it is completely dry. What ever of the Simple Green is left over goes back in the gallon. I buy it by the gallon and it lasts forever.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been using Simple Green full strength. Using the lid of a 5 gallon plastic bucket, place the blade in it and cover with Simple Green. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes and then use a toothbrush to get the particles off that are a bit more difficult. I wash the blade off with water, dry it and then to be safe, use an old hair dryer to make certain it is completely dry. What ever of the Simple Green is left over goes back in the gallon. I buy it by the gallon and it lasts forever.

+1

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I use detergent, usually Tide, mixed with water and let blades soak for 5-10 mins and then scrub the saw teeth with an old toothbrush prn.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Also use the lid of a 5 gal bucket and whatever soap I have on hand. I've used Simple Green, Fantastic, the bald headed guy, and whatever. Soak for a few minutes and brush off with a toothbrush. I wish I had a deep sink.

DickF

New User
Dick
I use Trend tool cleaner I got at Klingspoor, but it's available many places. Works great for me. It has taken everything off the blade I've managed to stick to it, including some burned on pine pitch. It has no real smell and just wipes off when done.
1588378079866.png

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
KrudKutter (I bought mine at Lowes). Biodegradeable, reuseable, non-corrosive, non-flammable and works quickly. Works on TS blades, BS blades, MS blades, router bits and saw chains. Rinses off with water.

As for oven cleaner, lye, drain cleaner: Sodium Hydroxide is a very strong alkali that has been reported to break down the brazing holding the carbide teeth to saw blades. It dissolves aluminum and zinc, and will also attack alloys that contain them. It is a very good rust remover for steel and iron, and will remove most one part coatings. If using it please wear eye protection. It can cause permanent blindness in seconds. (It used to be used in slaughter houses to dissolve all the waste parts from the animals. Today we just make pet food and McRibbs from them).

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I use the Trend cleaner also. I put the blade in an old aluminum pizza pan . spray lightly ,let it soak 5 minutes and clean with a brass brush. Then I rinse it with hot water and dry it.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
As for oven cleaner, lye, drain cleaner: Sodium Hydroxide is a very strong alkali that has been reported to break down the brazing holding the carbide teeth to saw blades. It dissolves aluminum and zinc, and will also attack alloys that contain them.

That is what I was trying to remember. We have a member, CharlesM is what my memory says, with Freud tools. He was very adamant about that very thing. There were other everyday household cleaners that he cautioned against.

I do remember someone posting a brew using baking soda that worked great, you just had to let it soak for several hours. i do not remember the other ingredients though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS