Classified System Help Topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman

New User
Chad
New Listing - Introduction

New Listing - Introduction

There are several links throught the classified script that will allow a user to go to the page where a user can list a new item. There are also configuration options available to your Site Adminsitratior that may impact what you see when you start a new listing. So, while this FAQ attempts to describe the full process what you see could be different then what is described here!

toolman

New User
Chad
New Listing - Selecting A Category

New Listing - Selecting A Category:

Step 1: Selecting The Category

The Classifieds script has the capability to support two levels of categories. Your Site Administrator may or may not use the Parent Category level to help organize the listings on the site.

Please note that on this page there are a series of radio butons that will only allow ou to select a single category. Select the category that is most appropriate for your listing and click the "Start New Listing" button.

toolman

New User
Chad
New Listing - Selecting The AdType

New Listing - Selecting The AdType

Step 2: Selecting the AdType

On the second page for adding a new listing you will see a selectable area where you can change the category that you are in. Below this are options to select the AdType for the listing that you are about to add.

Please note that the AdType you select will impact how your listing is desplayed so it is important to select the type of listin carefully before moving on to the next step.

toolman

New User
Chad
New Listing - The Details Page

New Listing - The Details Page

Step 3: The listing details Page

This page contains the actual information that is saved to the listing that users will see when you post a new item in the classifieds. Following is an overview of the Options that you will see:

Cost Information:

The classifieds script uses a system of Credits to contol the cost of using the classifieds script. The cost in credits refers to the cost to list this item in these classified credits.

Organization Info:

This area displays the category and the type of listing. By the time you are on this page you should not need to make any changes here but of you do make the changes before adding anything that follows of the data that is entered below will be lost when you change these settings!

New Listing Information:

This are includes the title of the listing which will be what is displayed in the classifieds, in any external modules as well as the title of any thread created in the forums. A well crafted and direct tirle for your listing is a very good idea!

The next item in this area id the Timeframe and this refers to the length of time from when the listing is posted to the system until it will expire.

Finally, there is an option to upload an image with your listing. Note that the image uploaded now will be the default image shown with your listing and it may be shown on other parts of the website. So a good image is important to help your listing work for you.

Additional Options:

In this area are three basic options. The Relist Until Sold option tells the script that you want the classifeds to deduct the credits from your account to relist the item if it closes without a sale. It is imporant that if you decide that you want to change this setting taht you come back and edit your listing to turn this off or your listing will continue to relist itself until you are out of credits or someone commits to buy your item which ever happens first!

The next two options have to do with ways that members can communicate about your listing. The Allow Comments opption allows members to post public comments at the bottom of your listing. These can be questions, feedback, or general oppinions. The Allow Private Offers option on the other hand is a private mechanism where a person interested in your listing can privately make you an doffer on your listing. An example might be someone trying to sell a used car for $10,000 and youa re willing to pay say $8,000 for it. The buyer can use this mecanism to post the private offer and the seller and potential buyer can then discuss in a private thread inside of the classifieds system.

Price Information:

The price information includes the price as it applies to normal fixed "for sale" type items as well as Start, Reserve, and Buy_it prices for auction type listings. Please note that if you do not wish to use a Reserve or Buy-It price that these fields should be left empty!

PayPal Information:

Note that the classified script can work to allow prospective buyers to instantly pay for your item via PayPal. Please be careful if using this option to make sure that your price information includes and extra shipping, handling, or taxes as there is no process to add these items at this point. If you wish to allow buyers to use paypal, please enter your PayPal e-mail address. If you do NOT wish to allow PayPal to be used, please leave this field empty.

Additional Info:

This is an area where additional information should be added to help describe your item or you as the seller.

Message Area:

This is the maid descriptive text for your message and in here you can use the normal forums editor to enhance your text with various sizes, fonts, colors, etc, add image or web links, use smilies, etc. This is a free text area where you can post what you need to post to support your listing.

Terms & Conditions:

These are important notes about the listing that you are about to post and they should be read before you post your new ad!

Submit

Once all of your information is entered and reviewed press the Submit buton to save your listing!

toolman

New User
Chad
Add Listing - Add More Images

Add Listing - Add More Images

Step 4: Confirmation and Edit Images Page

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, that reads like a very confusing book :icon_scra
Could it be done in simpler terms :dontknow:

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Agreed. This is great info, but not for the average poster. I think most people can figure out how to select the right category, post the initial ad etc. Although multiple images is an area of confusion. Looking at the comments this past couple of weeks, I think people struggle primarily with the whole process once the ad is posted.

How about this approach

Classifieds Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q)

1. I've posted my ad - now what?
Once you post your ad, it will show up in the listings. The most recent ads also appear on the Home Page. If someone is interested, he or she will "commit to buy". You will receive a private message (PM) from Otto Matic, our resident site robot when this happens

2. Someone wants to buy my stuff!
As soon as someone commits to buy, the ad becomes "closed" and is no longer visible on the site. This ensures the offers stop coming in for something that you have a buyer for. Once the sale is completed, simply select the "Mark paid" link to finalize the transaction.

3. The deal fell through, how do I put the ad back?
Go to your ad, and select "Reset buyer". This clears the previous commitment, and makes the ad visible on the site again.

4a. I received an offer, but it's less than I asked for
4b. I received an offer, but the buyer only wants the router, not the table that goes with it

5. How do I include more than one image?

toolman

New User
Chad
Just read my posts:

Well not a confusing book, but a book not for our posters.

OK yours looks good Bas.. When I download and unpacked the new update this FAQ was in the package, I just cut and pasted the info, it was 11:40 last night and did not even read it just posted. I will work on it asap, I just wanted to get started. I will keep this thread Moderated, and keep all of you posted thru PM..

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just read my posts:

Well not a confusing book, but a book not for our posters.

OK yours looks good Bas.. When I download and unpacked the new update this FAQ was in the package, I just cut and pasted the info, it was 11:40 last night and did not even read it just posted. I will work on it asap, I just wanted to get started. I will keep this thread Moderated, and keep all of you posted thru PM..
Sounds good Chad. I was thinking about PM'ing everyone who has sold something through the site using the new software, and see where people had problems.

Everyone else is free to suggest Q's for the FAQ (A optional - Chad and I can provide those)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS