Christian cross pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
I made these as prototypes for a friend who wants 10 pens to give as Xmas presents to his church elders.
Ti gold 8mm Euros made with Bethlehem Olive Wood and bloodwood crosses. He hasn't seen them yet and I have plenty of time for design changes so lay it on me! Let me know what you think and what you would have done differently. I value your opinions and want to hear them all, good and bad.

Thank you all in advance for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_4687_edited-1-a.jpg
    IMG_4687_edited-1-a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4695_edited-1-a.jpg
    IMG_4695_edited-1-a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 150

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I like the centerband to contrast to the cross. Maybe a custom centerband of a different color or the the one that comes with the kit. Everything else looks OK

skeeter

New User
Charles
Both pens are awesome. My personal preference is the stock center band or maybe a contrasting wood color, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rick,

Don't change a thing. These pens are terrific. By the way... my birthday is coming up soon... :-D:-D:-D

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like the centerband to contrast to the cross. Maybe a custom centerband of a different color or the the one that comes with the kit. Everything else looks OK

I am gonna second what Gary said..he did all the typing already :-D

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
They look great! I like the custom CB best. Not sure if I'd go with a different color, but I might thin the band a little.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Both pens are awesome. My personal preference is the stock center band or maybe a contrasting wood color, but you can't go wrong with either one.

I am with Skeeter. Go with the stock band. Either way if you have an extras, I was a good boy this year Santa......:-D

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I like them both. One thing that I have done in the past is to laminate walnut veneer on both sides of the bloodwood. This added a lot to my pens, but you have a nice, thin, classic looking cross there and I'm afraid that the laminate would take away from that. Another idea, in regards to your center band, is to cut the bottom of the blank at a 30 degree angle (like a scallop on the bottom of the cap) and use some form of ebony. This will somewhat be like putting the cross on a hill. you could give the pen continuity by cutting each side, and gluing up your segments, then cut the front in the back and glue those segments in. It could be a bit 'cheesy' for what you have, as, I do like the simple/classic approach. Your pen is simply stated and that is appropriate for this theme :)

Anyway...my 2 cents but you have two nice pens there!
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
In this case I prefer the stock center band(put a mark on the wall)
Esthetically it appears the crossbar and the vetical"post" are not the same thickness.It has been my experience it looks better if they are.
Overall great exectution,your prospective customer should be pleased as will the resipients.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
Thanks everybody for all the nice comments. And Chris I LOVE your suggestion about putting the cross on a hill. That way I can get the vertical line shortened up so it looks more like a traditional cross. See, that's why I love this place. You put your work out there and ask for suggestions and BINGO, you get one that makes sense and hopefully make your project better.Can't wait for the weekend to give it a try!!

Eagle, it must be my photo because all the bloodwood is from the same piece that I milled to the same thickness as my saw blade.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Sweet...that's a big compliment to me to have you use an idea. You are required to share a photo of your finished pen, now! :)

Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
it must be my photo because all the bloodwood is from the same piece that I milled to the same thickness as my saw blade.

Ok if that is the case, it could be the photo or the angle the pen is posed in or it dould be the way the vertical piece"wraps" giving the illusion it is wider.
Sorry, I notice stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS