Cherry Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I got a nice big cherry log from friend of mine and wanted to turn a NE bowl and a traditional bowl. The traditional bowl was going to be for my mothers birthday present at the suggestion of my father. I got both bowls ruffed out and set the aside to dry for a month or so. The NE bowl is finished and will never see the light of day. The traditional bowl I started applying the lessons I learned from the NE. I was also trying my new Thompson 5/8" U shaped bowl gouge. Apparently, I didn't have it quite figured out yet, dug it in twice and launched the bowl across the shop. The second catch left a huge crack across 27/64th of the bowl. I was very disappointed and set it aside for a couple months and sulked. My wife, who isn't a big fan of my turnings, asked why I couldn't glue it back together. One day while working on my dive gear I removed a SS hose clamp and inspiration struck. I used medium CA on the cracks and cinched it down with the hose clamps and it worked. The crack is visible but completely smooth. So, sanded to 600 the 4 coats of Tung Oil. I've not three wheel buffed it yet as I am waiting for the oil to cure. There is a small bit of bark left on the outside, which I'm not sure about, but there it is.

This is my first traditional bowl and I could use advice and constructive criticism if I'm going to improve.

P10100704.JPG

P10100734.JPG

thanks for looking

Rob

New User
Rob
Very nice Nate. When buffing, keep away from the bark area, white diamond will show in the cracks of the bark.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Looks good to me!
Catches are a part of turning and learning.
Sounds like it missed you when it launched, so it could have been much worse.
Glad you worked on fixing it. Yet another learning process.
Cracks are just character lines. Sort of like wrinkles, they signify the journeys taken.

woodturnerdon

New User
Don
Very well done, Nate! Your Mom will love it. The shape is right on and personally, I love the bark showing. Captn A is right about the crack. No big deal.
Hope you post how your Mom likes it.

Don L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS