Cheap and Good Linear Bearings and Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Anybody have 4 linear bearings, pillow block mounts, and 2 matching ~18" X ~1/2-3/4" diameter rails, etc laying around? Or know a good cheap source?
Thanks!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I am interested too.

The best prices I've seen so far are on Ebay, which is hit or miss and they still want more than I am willing to pay.

I want to upgrade the cross-slide vise I mounted to my benchtop mortiser- remove the L-R cross-slide gibs and ways and mount what remains to a mount with linear bearings. The vise function and "in-out" ways are barely acceptable, but once locked, work OK. The left-right action must be smooth and easy and the mount must resist tipping when the end of a leg or other workpiece is clamped in the vise. It don't want an expensive Cadillac linear bearing set, just one that works.

cpw

New User
Charles
I've used Applied Industrial Technology in Arden, but I can't really vouch for them. I needed new arbor bearings for an old Delta Rockwell saw. They had what I needed (made in Japan) and they were cheaper than Grainger is all I can really say.

Sully

New User
jay
Alan, Applied Industrial has a store in Greenville. I have used them for a few things; they have good customer service.

Linear bearings ain't generally cheap though. Surplus center ocassionally has them, but they don't show any in stock right now.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Applied Industrial Technology and Dixie Bearings. They are both nation wide bearing houses.
James

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Chinese Ebay vendors like this http://cgi.ebay.com/2-linear-bearin...649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5c60c001 are the best deal right now for new stock. Shipping is crazy! I'm not needing them fast so I'll keep looking in junk piles or probably make my own out of roller blade bearings and bar stock as this drawing lifted from CNCzone illustrates:
attachment.php

(and for all wondering....nope I ain't working on a CNC machine....quite the opposite:wink_smil)

timf67

New User
Tim
I can provide you with a "low tech" set of material that you might be able to work with. My company works with hard urethane sheet material, and the surface has a mold release on it that makes it super-slick. We have old kitchen cabinets and I have lined the bottoms of the drawers with this stuff and it has made a great sliding surface.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Try Automation4less.com. They are in Salisbury, NC. I have bought Hiwin linear ways and trucks from them about 1-1.5 years ago. Drove up to the warehouse to get them (10' linear ways are expensive to ship and easily damaged). They have a warehouse full of bearings, ways and trucks and a host of other automation related things. Their prices were better than ebay and the people there are good to deal with.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Try Automation4less.com. They are in Salisbury, NC. I have bought Hiwin linear ways and trucks from them about 1-1.5 years ago. Drove up to the warehouse to get them (10' linear ways are expensive to ship and easily damaged). They have a warehouse full of bearings, ways and trucks and a host of other automation related things. Their prices were better than ebay and the people there are good to deal with.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Thanks, sounds like a great place! Someday when I get out that way I'll check them out. Can you wander in their warehouse or is it just for pickup? Do they sell surplus also or is it all new? It sure would be nice to have an old fashioned surplus store nearby.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Thanks, sounds like a great place! Someday when I get out that way I'll check them out. Can you wander in their warehouse or is it just for pickup? Do they sell surplus also or is it all new? It sure would be nice to have an old fashioned surplus store nearby.

Alan,
They do have a huge warehouse and yes, they do let you in there. When I bought my linear ways, they just acqyuired tractor trailer loads of Hiwin new old stock and were selling it off at really good prices. The salesman told me that Hiwin changed designs on some of their linear ways and trucks and they bought all outstanding inventory.

It is dangerous to go there...lots of neat stuff!
Bernhard

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,
They do have a huge warehouse and yes, they do let you in there. When I bought my linear ways, they just acqyuired tractor trailer loads of Hiwin new old stock and were selling it off at really good prices. The salesman told me that Hiwin changed designs on some of their linear ways and trucks and they bought all outstanding inventory.

It is dangerous to go there...lots of neat stuff!
Bernhard

A big thanks! This is one of those cases where I just have rough idea of what I want to do and what I need, but won't know until I see it. Now I just need another excuse to make the long drive.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Alan

Just noticed this post..been absorbed with treating cancer in my best friend Maggie (Black Lab).

I still have the original Thomson rods from my Multi-router. I replaced them when I thought I had bearing/rod problems..which turned out to be bent castings. Nothing wrong with the rods except they're somewhat stained after twenty years in Florida. Thomson rods are specified at .0001" linearity. These might be not quite that good but heck they're 3/4" and about 18" long.

Let me know if you're interested

Don

A big thanks! This is one of those cases where I just have rough idea of what I want to do and what I need, but won't know until I see it. Now I just need another excuse to make the long drive.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan

Just noticed this post..been absorbed with treating cancer in my best friend Maggie (Black Lab).

I still have the original Thomson rods from my Multi-router. I replaced them when I thought I had bearing/rod problems..which turned out to be bent castings. Nothing wrong with the rods except they're somewhat stained after twenty years in Florida. Thomson rods are specified at .0001" linearity. These might be not quite that good but heck they're 3/4" and about 18" long.

Let me know if you're interested

Don

Thanks I'll keep you in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS