Cheap 8" jointer if you had to buy today... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I am going to order a 8" jointer. The best one I can find for less then $750 (including shipping+Tax) is the York Craft for $730.

Is there anything better right now? I have seen others with this one and they seem happy but did not know if there were any better deals price wise for the same or better quality.

Thanks

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Amazon on and off has had the Delta DJ-20 below $700. Check FrozenWarrior.com. I believe Grizzly has been adjusting their prices on their 8" as well. Then you have shop fox, which I think has been coming down in price some as well. Lots of options.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I bought the Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer about 3 years ago. I've had no problems at all with this jointer and would buy it again. The assembly instructions were not great but the diagrams were simple enough to figure out. It is fairly heavy.

Chuck

John_LA

New User
John Lach
The Grizzley G0586 can be had for $738.25 delivered. Seems they have a special going on it right now for $595 + shipping. Have heard and read its a pretty good jointer but I don't have one. :(

John

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
The ShopFox 1741 can be had for around $650??? I think that is what the guys on the forum here got it for in a group buy from Klingspors Woodworking Shop.

I do have the Yorkcraft YC-8J, probably also about three years old, mine has the Byrd/Shelix type head. I like it alot, considering I got the whole thing for $700 (the head alone retails for $400!)

In transporting it, the adjustments got thrown off somewhat, so I am learning about jointer set-up the hard way.

this reminds me that i need to go buy more teeth for my Byrd head:BangHead:

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Hard to go wrong with the Grizz. I have the G1018 but that was discontinued in favor of the G0586, IIRC. I don't necessarily need a spiral-head cutter and don't have one for that reason.... good luck in your decision. :icon_thum

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Yea the Grizzly is about the same as the yorkie now. You guys just made this decision more tough. :-?

Yorkie come with mobile base and is $8 cheaper. Fence is taller.

Grizzly no mobile base but the controls look a little better and has a 3inch bigger table. Fence is longer.

I thought the yorkie was 3hp but both seem to be 2hp with 4 blade head.

Where can you get the Shopfox for $650?

Thanks

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
FWIW, the Byrd head produces a smoother finish than my 20" planer's 4-knife head does... you can actually feel it. prolly be looking at a 20" byrd head for it some day, if I can stomach the idea of changing all those little 'teeth' around8-O

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I just ran a bunch of Hard maple through my Yorkcraft, and there was not a single hiccup. DC is kind of full tho'.

Rick Orwig

New User
Rick
I bought an 8" Yorkie several years ago and the built in mobile base was a key factor for my garage shop. It is still my choice today.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Yea I like the controls and look of the Grizzly. But since both of them have the same power and 4 blade setup I think the mobile base will win it for the yorkie.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
If you choose to go with the Y-C you will not regret it. One of the things that has not been mentioned so far is the fence movement. The older design was rack and pinion and I had the 6" version of that. I liked it a lot. There was precious little to tell between it and the Delta version that FWW gave its "Best Buy" award, except the builit-in mobile base which swung the deal for me.

Well, as is almost always the case, "I should have known better" when I bought it 'cuz over time I just had to have the wider capacity of 8". Last December I scratched that itch. The new fence design has a movement that is silky smooth and even more impressive than the old one. What's interesting is that it is the same fence on the lil guy now as well. I am not so obsessive about the bed that I wanted to know within a thousandth of an inch how flat it is, but I did pass over it my Lee Valley straightedge which claims to be within .001" of true. I could not find a crown or a dish over the entire length which is pretty impressive in my book.

BTW - the $599 deal was also sweet and I bet if pressed, when you call Wilke they could find a way to make it happen for you. The shipping was originally quoted to me at $75 to N. Ral which impressed me, but when it actually arrived it was closer to $90. Still, for delivered to the house and into the shop I think was a pretty fair deal. Make sure you have the truck driver wait while you unpack it and examine it for damage. Once you sign for it and he is gone you are going to have a tougher time making a claim.

As for dealing with Wilke - well, they have been great on two occasions so far and I have nothing but praise for them. Good luck with your purchase and I hope you have fun making lots of sawdust ...

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Yea the Grizzly is about the same as the yorkie now. You guys just made this decision more tough. :-?

Yorkie come with mobile base and is $8 cheaper. Fence is taller.

Grizzly no mobile base but the controls look a little better and has a 3inch bigger table. Fence is longer.

I thought the yorkie was 3hp but both seem to be 2hp with 4 blade head.

Where can you get the Shopfox for $650?

Thanks

I basically just put the Yorkie out there because that's the cheapest I found...but you were originally asking about the $650 Shopfox above... I don't think you ever got a reply to that question...

I could be dead wrong but I was under the impression that the SF and the Grizzly were basically the same machine with different paint schemes, i.e. sold under different badges but made in the same place, etc. etc. If not on this machine then on others....

Just a thought, if you can get the SF any cheaper shipped and if we are, in fact, comparing identical machines WRT # of knives, HP, etc. with the SF and the Grizz. :eusa_thin

Not that there's anything wrong with the Yorkie, I can't recall hearing anything bad about any of their machines.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Anybody know of any other places that sell the shopfox in the Raleigh/Cary area?
I called Klingspor and they want $750 for the Shopfox.

If not I will order the yorkie. I like the Griz but the lack of a mobile base is damming. The shopfox would be great but just need to find one at a good price.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Anybody know of any other places that sell the shopfox in the Raleigh/Cary area?
I called Klingspor and they want $750 for the Shopfox.

If not I will order the yorkie. I like the Griz but the lack of a mobile base is damming. The shopfox would be great but just need to find one at a good price.
ShopFox 8" jointer, March 10th will be on sale for $750 minus 10%. Also, the representative will be there to answer any questions that you may have.

BTW, there will be many reps from other manufacturers there along with many sales to be had. Worth a visit.

Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS