Carved Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here's something I just finished. My dad showed me a lidded box he turned a couple weeks ago and I loved the basic shape, but I decided to take it a step further and carve it. It is walnut and the carving is supposed to be walnut branches. I hope you like it!

IMG_0810.jpg

MikeH

New User
Mike
Wow! Ed that is awesome! Great job. How long did that take you to carve it? :icon_thum:eusa_clap:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks guys! Mike, it took a couple weeks. The "fun" part was moving the background to a consistent depth! Here is a pic with the lid off.

IMG_0812.jpg

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice :icon_thum
How did you get the background so smooth?
There doesn't seem to be any tool marks.

pete

I leveled the background pretty smooth with a #2 gouge then a #1 skew and bench chisels to get to where I could knock the rest down with a little filing with rifflers and sanding. A small #11 was good for getting the base of the leaves and branches.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wow, I've been working on a carved bowl for nearly a year and I still have a long way to go.

Nice work!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ed, that is spectacular! That is one of the nicest lidded bowls I've seen. Great job man!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Like it :nah::nah: LOVE IT **** yes!!!. That is spectacular. It needs to be entered in some contest. Hey, the Klingspor Woodworking Showcase and The Carving show is coming up really soon. Send it this way and I'll get it entered for you.

Dave:)

Shamrock

New User
Michael
ah yes-get the carved bowl to a contest-win prizes-become famous and carve and turn for a living! Yep that's the way-very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors