Canceled Raleigh Walnut Run to Charlies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Guys,

For you Raleighwood guys wanting in on Walnut, here is the deal. I am going Sat am. I am meeting up with Steve(zapdafish) and heading over to Capital Blvd. We will stop at Perkins on capital at about 9:30 and be in a white cargo van. I have room for about 200-300 additional BF. If you want in just meet me there. We will hang out until 10am, and then be on to the walnut. All that I ask is you follow to help load and pitch in some gas $ as this is not my vehicle and would like to return it with more gas than I borrowed it with. I will drop the walnut at your door if are close to my house or work it out before Sat.

Last edited:

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Re: Raleigh Walnut Run to Charlies

I will try to meet y'all at Perkins. I have a small truck, so I should be able to bring any wood that I pick up home. Might be able to handle another small load in the Cary Area.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Is this walnut Kiln dried or will it have to be air dried?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Guys based on Dans review, I think it may not be worth it to take the run. Thoughts????

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I agree on the cancellation, looks like at some point he started allowing people to pick and choose rather than just take off the top of the pile.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey guys,
If you are local and not looking for straight boards yielding full usage it's definitely worth the ride. He has 4x4's that are twisted alot, but they are 12' long and wil yield 4 nice sections to make table legs. there is more than enough wood on the board for making smaller projects like boxes and such, and if you dig far enough you may find a clean board. I went up Wednesday and bought 200 bd/ft. and it took 2+ hours to dig it out, most of it was twisted 4x4's and boards with lots of cull in figure 8 shapes. All in all it was well worth the money, even though I was dissapointed at the quantity and quality left since I had been there last year. The pile is now 1/6th-1/8th of it's original size, so it had been picked heavily since last year when I was first there. Last year I got 300 bd/ft of mostly 8-10"w x 12' ft. long boards that yielded 80 % usable wood, so to get wood that is yielding much shorter pieces is not a problem for me now.

BTW, after I got home I talked to Dan (mxracer) and gave him the lowdown on the wood so that his expectations weren't high. I told him that I highly doubted that he could fill out the orders that he took. He was alright taking the trip and I personally believe that he truly made the right decision not loading up for others ( I wouldn't have). The one thing that bothers me is that Charlie didn't want to allow him for the bad wood on the boards, I didn't pay for bad ends or cull.

As I said, all in all, if you are a local and can live with pieces that are 3"w x 4' long after picking throught the lumber and cutting it to size. this is a good deal because alot of the yield will be app. this size. Also he had alot of 4x4's that were long and twisted, but mostly straight for 3'-4' lengths and they weren't pith cut, at least when I was there.

It is just 50 cents a board ft., but at this point with the work needed to cleanto pick it and clean it up, that is probably what it's worth. It was alot better deal at $1-$1.25 bd ft.

Good luck to anybody else taking a ride up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS